Spray foam insulation and furring strips for drywall?

thisoldbungalowSeptember 30, 2010

My husband and I recently bought a 1920s bungalow with a finished attic. Since it was a cook box in the summer, we tore down the drywall in order to pull out the deteriorated Kimsul insulation and get the whole roof and exterior walls insulated with open-cell spray foam.

Over the 2x6 rafters (24" o.c.), previous owners had nailed furring strips to which the drywall was fastened. We are planning to have the spaces between the rafters filled with 5.5" of foam and attach new drywall to the existing furring strips. This would leave about a 3/4" gap between the surface of the foam and the drywall.

In my research on the web, I've come across occasional comments about the risk of moisture condensation and mold in this airspace between the drywall and the insulation. Our insulation contractor, however, says he has never heard of this problem. I haven't been able to find any official information about it either, all I've found are forum comments.

Does anybody have any information if there is indeed an issue with having a gap between the insulation and the drywall? My husband thinks the furring strips might actually be beneficial, because they would minimize contact and thus heat transmission through the rafters to the drywall. It seems like since both the gap and the drywall are in a conditioned space, there should not be an issue, but the comments I have come across make me wonder. The possibility of mold is obviously something we would like to rule out. (We live in a climate with hot, humid summers and relatively cold winters.)

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

Unless you have some further insulation over top of the o.c. foam, I'd say there is the possibility of condensation because R 19.8 is about half the minimum R Value you need in an attic in your climate. I assume you're north of the Mason-Dixon Line.

Bookmark   September 30, 2010 at 8:50PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

I should add it has nothing to do with the gap, but the fact that the bottom of the o.c. foam may be a condensing surface in the winter. When the warm air of the conditioned space touches the foam, water could condense out. On the plus side, the foam should be little affected and much of the water vapour will pass through and, hopefully, be vented out through adequate roof vents.

Bookmark   September 30, 2010 at 9:02PM
More Discussions
Popcorn Ceiling Removal...Is it worth it?
I have read many of the posts regarding Popcorn Ceilings...
cudjoegal
need help designing shed dormers
we bought an 1864 post and beam house and want to add...
lisafromvermont
I need help with making a decision to paint golden oak wood or restain
I have a 28 year old view home with dark bronze aluminum...
kimkollie
Dog Grooming/Bathing Station, show me your pictures, please
I really need to include a bathing/grooming area in...
thbennet
WCB QUESTION FOR CONTRACTORS
I live in BC, so I realize the answer may not be the...
houseofmagnolia
Sponsored Products
Shark GI468N Rapido Professional Lightweight Steam Iron - 622356517669
$36.99 | Hayneedle
Jackson Bicast Leather Swivel Cherry Bar Stool
Overstock.com
Bellagio Storm Blue 63-Inch Blackout Grommet Window Curtain Panel
$19.95 | Bellacor
T3 Source Shower Showerhead Filter
$130.00 | FRONTGATE
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Surya Rugs angelo:HOME Safari Tan 2 ft. 6 in. x 8 ft.
Home Depot
Delta Shower Hardware 60 in. Sliding Shower Door Track Assembly Kit in Nickel
Home Depot
Green Bay Packers Oniva Reclining Portable Seat
$42.99 | zulily
Select Luxury Reversible Medium Firm 8-inch King-size Foam Mattress
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™