Century old Crazy Quilt Block

calliopeDecember 22, 2013

Thought you might like to see what a crazy quilt block looked like from back when they were all the rage. I'm sorry, but this is the best quality I can do with artificial light on a dark, winter's day. It does not show off the hand embroidery well. It does give a feel for what fabrics were used. The batting on this, and yes it does have a thin batting, is some pug-ugly grey loosely pressed sheet of natural materials. Overall size is about two feet by one and a half. I found this in my mother's fabric stash. She was a big one on auctions, and probably found this in a box of somebody else's quilting cache and could no more throw it away than I could. It's been pinned to my sewing room wall, but thought I'd better put it under glass as I was renovating in there before I put it back on the wall.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Putting it under glass sounds like a good idea to me. I really like that the year was embroidered on it. I have a tendency to not think that far ahead and never thought anything I've made would make a person wonder who, what, where and when in 50 or more years.

Thanks for sharing.

SharonG/FL

Bookmark   December 22, 2013 at 11:30AM
nanajayne

Fun to have things from the past and even nicer to have them dated. It will be nice to have it covered and to be able to share your treasure from a different era. TFS

Bookmark   December 22, 2013 at 2:40PM
bev2009

I don't think about my quilts lasting 100 years. I imagine this person didn't either. It is very special.

Bookmark   December 22, 2013 at 3:24PM
quiltingfox

That looks so cool! Love the embroidery work on it. Thank you bunches for sharing!

Best to you,
Sandra

Bookmark   December 22, 2013 at 8:22PM
rosajoe_gw

I admire the time it took to make the quilt. The different embroidery stitches are gorgeous. I can't blame her or you, I couldn't get rid of it either lol!
Rosa

Bookmark   December 23, 2013 at 10:50AM
minnie_tx

loved it it reminded me of reading the Laura Ingalls Wilder series of the Little House books thanks for sharing

Bookmark   December 23, 2013 at 8:32PM
More Discussions
Oh my!
Switching over to Houzz very challenging! I sure hope...
nannykins
how large is your design wall?
I was just wondering how large everyones design wall...
redpenny
My 2015 Granny Square Quilt Blocks
Here are some of the different blocks I have been hand-piecing...
quiltingfox
My Mom's cross-stitch bookmark
I took a brief break from quilting the last 2 weeks...
quiltingfox
Are you quilting this weekend? Feb. 28-March 1
What are you working on this week? My DD and I are...
lindaoh_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™