Happy Solstice / Lunar Eclipse

K8OrlandoDecember 20, 2010

Here we are at the shortest days and longest nights of the year. Hope you are all staying warm as we welcome(?) the first night of Winter. Tonight there will be a lunar eclipse, visible throughout North America. Let's wish for clear skies so we can see it!

Kate

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosajoe_gw

We have been overcast and off and on drizzle for the past 4 days. Hopefully, it will clear enough for us to see the eclipse tonight.
Rosa

Bookmark   December 20, 2010 at 12:37PM
K8Orlando

It's a bit overcast here tonight but you can still clearly seen the full moon. Hoping it doesn't get any cloudier.

Bookmark   December 20, 2010 at 7:50PM
toolgranny

We won't see it at all with this storm - but we will put on our flowing robes, hold our candles and dance around the tree while singing bawdy tavern songs!

Bookmark   December 20, 2010 at 8:11PM
grammyp

I hope to at least see part of it. Don't know if I can stay up all night to see the whole thing.

beverly

Bookmark   December 20, 2010 at 9:05PM
carolnv

Won't be able to see it here in Nevada. Have had 3 days of straight rain! Ugh, my DH and I love looking up at the sky to see satellites, stars, shooting stars go by, but NO, not tonight!

Bookmark   December 20, 2010 at 10:29PM
ritaweeda

Woke up at around 3:30, wrapped up and went out, saw the total eclipse. Although I've seen it before, never on the Solstice, decided it was worth standing in freezing cold since it doesn't happen often, the last time was in 1638, the next time will be in 372 years. Tried to imagine living in ancient times and not knowing why this phenomenon occurs. It must have been pretty scary to see the moon turn dark orange like that. Don't forget to observe - the toilets flush backwards today!

Bookmark   December 21, 2010 at 6:44AM
magothyrivergirl

I saw it at different stages - thru my skylights in the bathroom. The next time I looked it was totally dark - no orange or red glow. Pretty cool......

Bookmark   December 21, 2010 at 8:25AM
K8Orlando

We were so lucky in Orlando! Sky was clear and the cold weather has reduced the humidity so the stars were sharp and bright. We set the alarm for 2:30am and went out on the golf course where it was really dark, with quilts to wrap ourselves in of course. Sarah the 14 year old Sheltie wasn't thrilled to be woken up at that hour but once we got to the golf course she decided it was a party and dashed around like a puppy. We even saw two shooting stars. If I'm still around in 372 years I'll do it again!

Kate

Bookmark   December 21, 2010 at 8:43AM
grammyp

Didn't get to see the eclipse, too many clouds. But now that winter has officially started, our weather has warmed up. Go figure.

beverly

Bookmark   December 21, 2010 at 9:57AM
More Discussions
How about a QOTD ????
What is your bestest, most favorite, the "I never...
beth7happy
Old/new names
So I (we) don't lose anyone, I think listing our forum...
jennifer_in_va
Oh my!
Switching over to Houzz very challenging! I sure hope...
nannykins
2015 February Block Lotto
(posting this a bit early so you can get a head start...
toolgranny
Are you quilting this weekend? Feb. 13-15
My DD and I are going to post a quilt-along on my blog...
lindaoh_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™