how best to align window trim on two windows misaligned

lgp1234September 5, 2012

we had our GC punch out a second window adjacent to an existing window in our kitchen

the older window was a "retrofit" (window put into existing frame) and the new window is "new construction"- thus they do not align.

I think the trim mismatch is obvious and I think we should add a thin moulding to the top of one to align it. I know this is a bandaid, but at least the top of trim to ceiling is same height. I know it's not a moulding practice, but simplest- would it look odd?

Other option(s)

1- cut down trim around entire new window to align at top- issue is that trim isn't as decorative and will be thinner all around then that is a mismatch

2- replace trim on old window to be bigger to match. however, window shares trim with sliding door so we would need to replace all trim for both- costly and I think overkill

I knew this would be the case with the two methods of construction and we didn't have a choice- it looks okay from outside because it was possible to align the trim. I didn't realize it would be so obvious:-(

What do you think? We need to decide in the next few hours!! (I'll post a picture soon)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
geller

Why not remove and replace the older window and align them both. Then you have no issues with mismatch.

Bookmark   September 5, 2012 at 4:08PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jumpilotmdm

That's some GC you got there, putting a replacement next to new construction? I vote for geller's solution and it should have been a no brainer for any industry professional.

Bookmark   September 6, 2012 at 10:05AM
More Discussions
Stair Problem
I'm hoping someone has a brilliant idea for me! I...
isabelyw
How does a General Contractor work...do I need one ?
I am new to remodeling anything in my house. I have...
jeannette10
Build an Addition, Move, or Stick it out?
We live in a land-locked area with high real estate prices....
neverlandpirate
Average hourly rate for electrician?
We are having to do some rewiring of old knob/tube...
dainaadele
Bad Countertop Fabrication
Hello, Hoping to get some advice/opinions! We just...
diynola
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™