Matte Finish Vinyl Siding?

JoelleSeptember 2, 2013

Hello, everyone,

Does anyone have any experience with matte finish vinyl siding? Two examples are Certainteed Restoration Smooth Double 4-1/2 Clapboard and Alside Charter Oak Matte Double 4-1/2 Clapboard. These are touted as looking more like smooth sanded and painted wood siding than the majority of vinyl sidings with imprinted fake wood grain. This sounds attractive for our house but our siding contractor warned that the matte finish collects dirt and is harder to clean than "conventional" vinyl siding. Can anyone comment on this or any other experience with this type of siding? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
live_wire_oak

In real world paint finishes, matte is more difficult to clean because it grabs dirt. But, I've never seen "shiny" vinyl. Most of the standard vinyl is very very low sheen. Satin maybe. Although it pretty much gets a heck of a lot more matte with UV exposure! Sounds "matte finish" is like marketing hype to be able to charge more. Get some samples and go around to various showrooms and existing homes and judge for yourself.

Bookmark   September 3, 2013 at 4:47PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
renovator8

If the intent is effective imitation of painted wood, why wouldn't the paint finish be similar too? Matte paint on real clapboards would be as unusual as raised grain.

Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 6:45PM
More Discussions
Question for contractors - after job is done (paying/thanking)
Hello. My bathroom remodel is wrapping up and I'll...
mrsshayne
Stucco On French Door Installation
Hi, I am replacing a window with french doors in the...
shaklee3
Homeowners, any good books on remodeling?
I'd like to get a little more knowledge about what...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
What decisions, materials, can cut costs when remodeling?
If you really have a budget to work within, how do...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Designer vs contractor
Hi all, New to the forum here. Purchsed a 1960's bungalow...
houseofmagnolia
Sponsored Products
Matte Black 12-Inch One Light Chain Hung Pendant with White Marble Glass
$132.00 | Bellacor
Outdoor Lighting. Suffolk Collection Post-Mount 1-Light Outdoor Matte Black Fixt
$50.00 | Home Depot
Bruck | Rainbow II 120V Down Pendant Light
$191.25 | YLighting
Illumine Outdoor Lighting. 1-Light 18 W Low Voltage Matte Bronze Pathlight (4-Pa
Home Depot
Outdoor Lighting. Chateau Collection Wall-Mount 2-Light Outdoor Matte Black Ligh
Home Depot
BLux | Q-Bo Wall or Ceiling Light
$160.00 | YLighting
Galati Two-Light Brushed Nickel Vanity Light with Rounded Matte Opal Glass Shade
$172.00 | Bellacor
Compendio 5pc Knife Set - White Lucite - Coltellerie Berti
$680.00 | HORNE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™