removing stone from countertop

treblecatSeptember 12, 2013

I built a new countertop for the bathroom using stone tiles. Now, it seems I wasn't careful enough, and one tile is slightly higher than the others around it. How difficult will it be to remove and replace that one tile? The tiles are on cement backerboard.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
homebound

Not that difficult. Now is a good time to invest in a multi-tool (eg. Fein multimaster or similar.) Remove the grout with it (grout blade). Then cut an X in the stone with a grinder, catching the dust with a shopvac....or use a masonry bit and make several holes in the stone and remove the stone in pieces. Once you got a few out, the rest will come out with the aid of a 5-in-1 painter's tool and a hammer. After all the pieces are out, use your multi-tool with the rasp blade to grind out the remaining thinset. Now it's ready to try again.

Bookmark   September 12, 2013 at 1:08PM
treblecat

thanks! However, buying a multi-tool isn't going to happen. I discovered that my angle grinder will take a wet/dry blade and seems to cut the stone ok, so I may try it in the way you suggest. Hopefully, then, I can grind down and chip out the thinset. What do you think?

Bookmark   September 12, 2013 at 1:34PM
weedyacres

You can get an inexpensive multi-tool at Harbor Freight for about $30.

Bookmark   September 13, 2013 at 9:01AM
live_wire_oak

I second the Harbor Freight recommendation. I thought I would just be trying the tool to see if I liked what it did and then I'd buy the Fein if I did. Several years later.....the knockoff is still going strong. And it's the most used tool that I own, because it's the most versatile. It is SO worth the money!

Bookmark   September 13, 2013 at 9:06AM
More Discussions
Milgard SunCoat vs SunCoat Max vs I89 x-post
x-posted in Windows forum We're getting ready to remodel...
lisa_a
Bad Countertop Fabrication
Hello, Hoping to get some advice/opinions! We just...
diynola
Cutting a notch into rafters to push LVLs into the ceiling?
We have a load-bearing wall we'd like to remove. We...
progressnerd
Stair Problem
I'm hoping someone has a brilliant idea for me! I...
isabelyw
2x8 Joists are 1.75x7.75 and 2x6 Joists are 1.75x5.75? why is this?
Posted this in another forum but looking for more answers. I...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™