Rerouting ceiling joist possible?

espressoSeptember 11, 2011


I find myself in dire straits regarding the installation of a wall chimney hood in my new kitchen. The "install" was started, and holes were cut into the siding of the house and the kitchen ceiling to install the 10" duct. While doing so, the installer mentioned that there is a joist in the way of running the duct where it should be running. The joist runs alongside the wall, but about 5-6" in front of it, which prevents the duct to enter the kitchen right down the wall, where it should be. The installer's solution was to add two angular modules, curving the duct back towards the wall. Nothing else has been done beyond this. The winter is approaching, and I would like to get this mess done in some creative fashion. Cost, at this point is almost secondary.

I tried the custom duct cover approach, but found nobody willing to help. I also called Viking for help, without success. Plan B would be to open up the ceiling from "behind" that wall, which is easier, it's the mudroom area. My thought, or dream would be to reroute the joist so that the duct can enter the kitchen at the appropriate location. I am not a carpenter, nor a structural engineer, but I do know that there are very skilled folks on this site, and I would be more than grateful to get some feedback to start with.

Yes, I know...the installer should have given me a heads up prior to cutting. But what's done is done, and I need to get it fixed. I have been upset for long enough, and just get blank stares at this point. I think they took on more than they could handle, and it is a very reputable HVAC/Plumbing company otherwise, in my experience. Their solution was to have someone frame the duct and drywall it, but seriously, I think this would have looked rather amateurish and very off for a SS chimney hood to have a drywalled, angular chimney, and a SS canopy.

Thank you so much!!!!


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Is the attic space accessible? If so, a qualified carpenter should be able to climb up there and assess the situation.

I'm not a professional, but if it were me I'd call my local lumber yard (not a big box store) and ask for referrals of Home Remodel contractors. You need a carpenter to fix the problem, not an installer.

The link below will give you an idea of what the carpenter may be able to do so the ducting can be run.

Here is a link that might be useful: joists

    Bookmark   September 11, 2011 at 12:24PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo


Unfortunately, it's the ceiling to the second floor, not the attic. That's why I thought the mudroom would make for good access. I'll check out your link.


    Bookmark   September 11, 2011 at 2:17PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
4" or 5" rounded newell posts--where to order?
Is there such a thing as a 4" or 5" round...
Have exterior wall open-questions about improving insulation
I have a 1980s era house, so not the greatest in terms...
Help with exterior remodel!
Help! I want to remodel the exterior of my house. ...
Jeff Holmes
Questions about attic & insulation
1980's era house. Blown in FG insulation which at this...
Will installing vinyl siding over cedar siding create a rot problem?
We have a friend with cedar siding installed over house...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™