Batiks- Connecting Threads Evaluation

magothyrivergirlDecember 8, 2010

I ordered some Batik charms that were on sale at Connecting Thread - $2.48 for 24 just to see what they were like. I needed to bump my order to $50 for the free freight.

They are definitely much, much thinner than the Batiks from LQS, any others I have ordered or even (gasp)batiks from Joanns. The colors are very, very pretty, but I wonder how the design looks on a full piece off the bolt. There is a right and wrong side- in my opinion. Some of the charms had folds/ creases in the squares - I haven't measured them. I have also never ordered charms before, so don't know if this is normal, but who wants to remeasure and possibly trim?

Overall, they are not bad, and I might have to order some yardage to get the full effect of the look. They do cost a lot less - so I did not expect the same.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nanajayne

One + for Connecting threads is the fabric is supposed to be American made. Lately I have been reading reports of infestation with imported items.
I have no issues with their products but not always impressed with color and pattern choices.
Have not tried the batiks. Jayne

Bookmark   December 8, 2010 at 10:52AM
toolgranny

Some of the fabrics are good but their batiks are incredibly thin. I used mine up but prefer to get mine from other sources now.

Bookmark   December 8, 2010 at 12:04PM
teresa_nc7

I've had wrinkles and small folds in even the more expensive batiks. I think it's just the nature of the beast. Perhaps using their batiks for wall hangings would be a better use than a bed quilt or throw which will get more physical use. Same reason I will use polyester batting in a wall hanging but not in a quilt as it doesn't have the drape (read cuddle-ability) of cotton batting.

Teresa

Bookmark   December 8, 2010 at 12:19PM
More Discussions
The Zelda Quilt-Along
We launched Zelda: The Quilt-Along on my blog yesterday....
lindaoh_gw
damascusannie
Would you mind sharing your links for the old Singer...
csackett
Are you quilting this weekend? March 27-29
I stayed up late last night making a teapot block for...
lindaoh_gw
Sewing Cabinet opening size
I have a new Babylock Crescendo sewing machine (equivalent...
kimwebs
I'm new here and sharing my quilts
Hello, I'm new to your forum, but not new to sewing....
craftylady
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™