Correction on Solstice Fact!

ritaweedaDecember 21, 2010

I stated that the toilets will flush backwards today, I messed up, it's the equinox when that happens. Got my celestial quirkies mixed up!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
K8Orlando

Um.... you know that's a myth, right?

Bookmark   December 21, 2010 at 8:49AM
bozogardener

Yes, that is a myth. They only flush "backwards" in the southern hemisphere (and all of the time, not just the equinox).

Bookmark   December 21, 2010 at 11:45AM
ritaweeda

I know, I know, there's stuff all over the Internet that it is a myth. But years ago, someone mentioned it at work and I thought is was a crock, but I tested it out the next day which was the equinox, and it was draining the opposite way. In fact, I kept checking it all day, then suddenly it reverted to normal after sometime in the afternoon. And when I told my son about it the next year, he said he checked and didn't see the difference. I guess it's only true for us weird toilet-gazers. LOL!

Bookmark   December 21, 2010 at 12:26PM
K8Orlando

Sorry again, but even the southern hemisphere thing isn't true. Toilets will flush in whatever direction the water is streamed. Most toilets in Australia, for example, flush straight down, not clockwise or counterclockwise. Really. I'm not trying to be a problem. Look it up.

Here is a link that might be useful: List of Common Misconceptions

Bookmark   December 21, 2010 at 2:45PM
ritaweeda

I am absolutely about to have to change my undies from so much laughing, I searched online and there are not only over 81,000 items that hit on the search words "toilets flushing clockwise", there are even videos! I'm going to go and have my afternoon beer now. I truly needed this today!

Bookmark   December 21, 2010 at 4:00PM
ironkit

Untouched water will, however, flow down a drain in the opposite direction in the southern hemisphere than in the northern hemisphere. Coriolis effect and all that.

I'd put the link in the link box thing, but GW rejects anything that doesn't look like a 'real' link, casually ignoring the fact that there are other ways to have URLs, so:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriolis_effect

(and also rejects some standard html, lovely)

Bookmark   December 21, 2010 at 10:03PM
K8Orlando

Absolutely true. And the corliolis effect is evident in storms and air movement, as well as undirected water.

(Not sure why you can't get it to work so I added your wiki link for you.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Coriolis effect

Bookmark   December 21, 2010 at 10:13PM
More Discussions
Retreat finishes: 2013-2014
Three down...don't ask how many more to go :-)! All...
littlehelen_gw
My Mom's cross-stitch bookmark
I took a brief break from quilting the last 2 weeks...
quiltingfox
The Zelda Quilt-Along
We launched Zelda: The Quilt-Along on my blog yesterday....
lindaoh_gw
National Quilting Day March 21, 2015
The third Saturday of March is National Quilting Day...
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
Fun idea, but need help.
I am an occasional, novice, quilter and am making a...
beteacher
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™