Popcorn ceiling texture - is contractor's work acceptable?

marg143August 17, 2014

I hired a contractor to, among other things, demo a soffit and patch the ceiling/popcorn texture to match. It was a soffit between kitchen and DR (the other soffits will be covered by cabinets/crown so don't matter).

Is this a good / acceptable job? I can sometimes be too detailed/picky so I don't know if it's just me. When we discussed this at his hire, he said he would get it "as good as it can". The ceiling had been recently painted so it's not a paint color issue. He also 'feathered' the texture into the kitchen and repainted the entire kitchen. What is visible seems to be result of slight differences in depth as well as some texture difference. I'll post a couple other photos following.

When I'm standing directly underneath the section, it's also visible, but what is most bothersome is to see this at a distance and have the ceiling seem marred (humble abode though it may be). They are 8' ceilings so a little more in field of vision than higher would be.

Thanks for any help from anyone, and also especially from any contractors/experienced with ceiling texture.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

Looks good from here

Bookmark   August 18, 2014 at 3:52AM
worthy

Matching popcorn ceilings is a very difficult job.

I'm posting a pic below of a reposession rehab I did this year of a seven-year old townhouse. The painter patched the ceiling subjected to long-neglected leaks, then re-textured the area. In the photo, it stands out. In person, you'd really only see it if you knew what you were looking for. Respraying the entire ceiling in a new coat of paint would have completely disguised the repair.

Similarly, when I've torn down partitioning walls and was faced with three different ceiling heights and different texturing, the plasterer levelled the ceilings with mesh and plaster, then applied new heavy texturing to the entire ceiling.

Spending more, you can always get a more perfect job.

This post was edited by worthy on Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 12:34

Bookmark   August 18, 2014 at 12:19PM
marg143

Thank you! We did repaint... it sounds like yours (worthy) was not repainted and thus the difference. I think my difference is due to depth/texture vs. paint.

Bookmark   August 18, 2014 at 4:24PM
More Discussions
Build an Addition, Move, or Stick it out?
We live in a land-locked area with high real estate prices....
neverlandpirate
Any reviews of J & K Cabinetry?
We are redoing our kitchen and I came across this type...
Jill_homemaker
Inquiry into Counterfeit Faucet Certification Marks.
Faucets sold in North America are regulated. They are...
StarCraft Custom Builders
Sunroom or Diningroom
I just finished remodeling my kitchen; which has two...
mydestiny1
Getting ready to remodel the second floor, where to start?
We are beginning to interview contractors. Would like...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™