Do you batt with fleece backing?

nanajayneNovember 15, 2008

I have done both but can never besure which is best. Today I got fleece for my Very Hungry Catapiller quilt and then was in a quandray as to use a batt or not. Finally decided to use a thermore batt. I just hope it wont be too heavy but didn't like the idea of just quilting 2 layers.

Jayne

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
damascusannie

I have a girlfriend who just uses fleece for backings and no batting and her quilts turn out great.

Annie

Bookmark   November 16, 2008 at 1:22AM
grammyp

I do not use batting and have never had a problem. They are VERY warm and have held their shape so far.

beverly

Bookmark   November 16, 2008 at 6:58AM
vicky4x4

So question here: if you use fleece for the backing do you tie these quilts? How do you quilt them?

Vicky

Bookmark   November 16, 2008 at 8:53AM
damascusannie

Melissa sometimes ties them, sometimes just does some simple straigh line quilting (no worries about how close you quilt with fleece) and sometimes she uses the eyelet stitch on her machine and tacks it together with little circles--that's really cute.

Annie

Bookmark   November 16, 2008 at 12:33PM
nanajayne

I guess I probably could have gotten along without the batt. I have it staight st. quilted about 4-5" apart but plan on some free hand in the open areas. It is going to be a warm quilt but looks pretty good so far. I did a lap quilt with out the batt and a baby quilt but hated to skimp on this one. Nice to know that others do it with success. Jayne

Bookmark   November 16, 2008 at 10:36PM
wynative

I batt all of mine - to me a quilt isn't a quilt with out it....Marie

Bookmark   November 19, 2008 at 9:31PM
solstice98

I did a quilt a couple years ago with fleece on both sides. No batting because I thought it would make it too thick. I did minimal quilting but tried to make it pretty since it shows so much.

Kate

The solid gold is the backside of the quilt.

Bookmark   November 20, 2008 at 8:52AM
wynative

Kate,

That looks great! I have 2 pieces of fleece that I want to make my husband a throw quilt out of for Christmas and think I will 'steal' your idea. LOL Did you draw a pattern on or just wing it?

Marie

Bookmark   November 20, 2008 at 3:41PM
solstice98

I never draw a pattern and sometimes it's pretty obvious! lol But in this case I mostly just edged the leaves on the pieced side of the quilt. Where they weren't complete, I tried to complete the image. I did simple little loops and swirls from the stem end, like a leaf falling from a tree would make. Honestly, it turned out much nicer than I expected it to and the leaf outlines were much sharper. Working with fleece was fun and I always planned to make another one but I haven't done it yet. We don't need it too often in Florida! This quilt was a gift for my brother in law in New York state.

Bookmark   November 20, 2008 at 3:50PM
More Discussions
damascusannie
Would you mind sharing your links for the old Singer...
csackett
Sewing Cabinet opening size
I have a new Babylock Crescendo sewing machine (equivalent...
kimwebs
Q for you re blue jean quilts
A group of ladies and myself will be making quilts...
bev2009
I'm new here and sharing my quilts
Hello, I'm new to your forum, but not new to sewing....
craftylady
a question regarding binding
I know. I'm just full of questions. I want to make...
donna_loomis
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™