Which stain - Red oak floor + cherry cabinets

opphopApril 1, 2014

Under that cardboard on the floor are 5" red oak planks waiting for me to pick a Minwax stain. Do I stay in the same color family as the cabinets but go a little lighter like Gunstock? Or would something in a brown tone like Special Walnut look good and not clash? We've played around with Provincial, and Provincial+English Chestnut and both came out too dark brown. Any photos of yours to share?

This is the adjoining breakfast room:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
badgergal

I think you should consider leaving you floors natural with just a clear poly finish. IMO cabinets and floors should have contrast. The beauty of your cherry cabinets will be lost if they blend right in with the floors. I have natural cherry cabinets with natural ash flooring so not the same scenario as yours but you can see the contrast in this picture.

Here are some photos I grabbed off the web that are said to be natural red oak floors and stained cherry cabinets.

Bookmark   April 1, 2014 at 9:53PM
crl_

I agree that I would go for contrast to show off those lovely cabinets.

Bookmark   April 1, 2014 at 10:55PM
Gooster

I am biased, but I agree that they should be a couple of tones away from your cabinet stain. This is what I was advised and what turned out well. Otherwise, you run the risk of a slight clash. Maybe even lighter than the gunstock.

I have quarter sawn white oak with stained cherry-- it is the barest of tints to match the original 75 yr old hardwood in the remainder of the space.

Bookmark   April 1, 2014 at 11:25PM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

Natural oak. Dark floors are over. People got tired of fruitlessly cleaning them every 5 minutes.

Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 7:32AM
opphop

Hey, thanks everyone. I am being swayed toward natural and I am happy about this decision.

Someday I will post a reveal because I have gotten so much help from GW about soapstone, woodwork, carpeting, siding, and window treatments. This site rocks!

Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 11:59AM
bethinnc

Just another "real life" example for you. I think our cabinets are a bit redder than yours, but similar idea--natural oak floor finish with darker cabinetry.

Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 12:17PM
heidihausfrau

This is what I used with my stained cherry cabinets---the color is called coffee on hickory floors. I like that it isn't such a stark contrast.

Even though my floors are darker, I find them gorgeous. And I don't care if they are "out" or not. My house is for me!

Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 2:07PM
opphop

For those of you who have a natural wood floor, did you use natural stain, or is the finish applied directly to the wood?

This post was edited by harmonyhill on Thu, Apr 3, 14 at 7:26

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 7:23AM
OOTM_Mom

My cherry cabs have a chocolate glaze, my oak floors are just a bit lighter. I was worried it would be too dark all together, but its not. There is a lot of variation in the floor, and it hits the cab color here and there. And even a bit of the dog color, lol. I did really like the unstained color, but that wouldnt have worked for us for the whole first floor.

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 7:42AM
brianstreehouse

I have the opposite. My floors are cherry (jatoba) and my cabinets are oak.

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 7:51AM
FamCook

A vote for the contrast!

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 8:57AM
opphop

OOTM_Mom, what is the name of your floor stain. It is lovely with your cabinets, and your pooch!

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 10:04AM
a2gemini

Just lost internet and my message - Grrr
I really struggled with this as well. I didn't want to replace the floor, so sanded and coated- no stain. It is oak but not solid oak(I think it would bring called an oak laminate- probably has 8-18 years of life left)
Everything looked like we were trying to match but failed. The floor has a lot of variation in it. If I started from scratch- I would have more contrast similar to badgergal.

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 12:11PM
OOTM_Mom

Here is a picture of the samples they put down for me, on the left is straight Provincial, on the right a mix of provincial and cherry. My old color is towards the back, and the new unfinished oak to the front. It is DuraSeal brand. I went with the blend of Provicial and cherry.

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 1:08PM
More Discussions
Undermount sink keeps separating from granite
We recently had granite installed in our kitchen and...
stnjan
"Ledge" sinks and accessories -- do you use them?
I'm considering an undermount stainless sink that has...
denizenx
Opinions please on glass or not for problem cabinet
Short run of counter on the window wall, with only...
gramarows
Have white marble counter on copper sink?
I am putting a white marble countertop on an undermounted...
sandmtn
Moen Motionsense faucets
Hello! I just installed a Moen Motionsense kitchen...
yooper856
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™