Banging on my marble - oops!

Debbi BrankaApril 21, 2013

I've had my statuary marble for about a year. I love it. I have etches on it. I wish I didn't, but I do and I don't really care - I love my marble! Tonight I was filling some Mason jars with spices and kind of banging the jar so the contents would settle and I could fit more in. I did this with a couple pint jars and had no issue. Then I did it with a quart jar. Uh-oh. There were marks where I was hitting the glass bottom onto the marble. The marks were white dots almost. Like when you hit the concrete sidewalk hard with a rock. The bottoms of the quart jars are bumpy; the bottoms of the pint jars are smooth. So I have about 30 or so little white marks on the marble in the small area where I was banging the jar down. Oops! I still love my marble and even this won't bother me by tomorrow (I'm already getting over it), but I wanted to share in case anyone else thought to do the same thing. No banging glass down on your marble if you don't want marks on it!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Holly- Kay

It will just add to the beauty.

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 9:18PM
breezygirl

Already found out the no banging rule on day 1 with my Carrara. I have several little white chip marks in various places in the kitchen. They don't bother me either, nor does the etching.

As a related PSA, don't bang your mason jars on your walnut counter either. Or let your little DD gallop her toy horses on it. Or drop a can of artichoke hearts on it. Or let your cousin gesture wildly with his beer bottle during a story which ends with him banging the bottle down on the counter. At least those dents can be sanded out.

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 9:20PM
Debbi Branka

That's a LOT of lessons to learn Breezy!

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 8:21AM
Glisson4

The first few days I had my Marble, a bottle of red wine knocked over and a glass fell out of the cabinet and broke on the counter. The number of times that happened with my old formica? Zero! Thanks for the tip!

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 9:29AM
williamsem

I wasn't quite sure what to expect from the title, lol! Guess that's another lesson!

Glad you are keeping a positive attitude about it all.

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 10:42AM
Debbi Branka

OMGosh! Williamsem you made me laugh out loud at work!

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 10:55AM
huango

Ditto.
I was trying to separate 2 frozen hamburger patties from each other by sticking a knife between them. Well, they separated and my knife banged down on the marble and made a small chip.
Lesson learned.
So I then turned around to my butcherblock and did it again w/ another 2 frozen patties.

Like breezy said:
"don't bang your mason jars on your walnut counter either. .... At least those dents can be sanded out."

I am actually getting better at accepting the pits/wear/etchings on the marble. My thinking is that more I put there, the quicker it'll all patina together.
Hosting a 100+ people plus BBQ next month: toasting already to more patina (on my marble and my new hardwood floor).

Amanda

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 1:49PM
More Discussions
Why is a backsplash so hard to choose?
Got the counters in place today...love my Taj Mahal...
ssg7741
WAC vs. Seagull vs. Kichler or what else - "best" LED UCL
can someone please help/advise i feel like a fish out...
lmgch
"Ledge" sinks and accessories -- do you use them?
I'm considering an undermount stainless sink that has...
denizenx
Anyone have Cambria Seagrove? Or Summerhill?
I have been GW lots lately trying to decide on countertops....
Lily Spider
Largest flushmount sink for 36" cabinest
Can anyone point me to the largest flushmount sink...
akjr_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™