DIY ideas for fireplace surround?

jenniferPAJune 28, 2012

Our fireplace surround in this photo is some sort of faux slate. It collects dust and I've spent hours with a scrub brush trying to get it all out - still looks terrible. It's a gas fireplace.

I am thinking of tiling over it, although I've never done such a project. Any ideas or tips for a DIY fix?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Fori is not pleased

Do you like the slatey grey color? I do. I think tiling it with a natural slate tile would be pretty nice. Do rent a tile saw (or buy one if they're on sale--sometimes it's the same price).

If it's possible to temporarily remove the mantle trim before tiling, the job will be easier, but even if you can't, it's not too bad a job to DIY. You cut everything before you start to stick it down so you'll know if you can do it before you mess up what you already have.

Bookmark   June 28, 2012 at 11:37PM
likewhatyoudo

We got this stone from lowes, it is inexpensive and easy DIY. Lowes will make the cuts for you and we glued it on with heavy duty construction adhesive, no grouting. Took us a couple hours with our borrowed tile saw. They have one with grey instead of the gold and cream that we used that might be perfect and you could keep the floor slate. I would go over the top of the slate if it where me doing the work and not take off the old slate. We applied the stone after the mantle was installed and painted. They also have other styles that you might like.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=354393-93840-20-616&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3477519&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=354383-93840-20-626&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3362742&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

Bookmark   June 30, 2012 at 12:25AM
nanny2a

rtwilliams, you have a lovely room and beautiful DIY fireplace surround! And, since I have two of them, I have to comment on the darling Westie, too! He/she blends in beautifully with the decor!

Bookmark   June 30, 2012 at 11:26AM
More Discussions
Bright solid or bold print to reupholster settees?
Anyway, I bought a pair of vintage settees for my 'formal'...
sloedjinn
Broyhill lamps -- help!
A couple weeks ago I saw some lamps made by Broyhill...
tammy518
Hardwood floors and adjoining room, help please
We are sanding and staining the wood in our living...
jtaime2
who has grey kitchen cabinets?
would appreciate info from people who have grey cabinets...
mainewire
Is this legit? RH law suit. You get this ?
This came on email. I suspect it's bogus, but thought...
martinca_gw
Sponsored Products
Dimplex DFI230106A Electric Flame Fireplace Insert
Overstock.com
Kichler Lytham Olde Bronze Satin Glass Ceiling Light
Lamps Plus
Contemporary Black Organza Shade Floor Lamp
ParrotUncle
Medieval Copper Firewood Basket with Handle - Antique Copper
Signature Hardware
Woodard Briarwood High Back Dining Side Chair - Set of 2 - WD1449
$437.99 | Hayneedle