Low Bearing Wall

sue43August 7, 2010

My son is cutting a hole in the wall, kitchen into the living room and would like to know how to tell if it's a low bearing wall. Thanks for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
snoonyb

If you have a basement with a center support beam and this wall occurs above above that beam, either parallel or perpendicular with the floor joists, it could be load bearing.

If your house is single story, in the attic, if the ceiling joists continue over it, end over it, are spliced over it, or you have roof bracing landing on it, It's a bearing wall. If the ceiling joist are parallel with the wall and you have roof bracing landing on it, It's a bearing wall.

If there is a 2nd floor above the wall, you have two options. You can remove a section of ceiling on both sides of the wall to determine if the 2nd floor, floor joists, cross it or end over it. If so, Its load bearing. Or you can use a stud finder to determine the location and direction of the joists.

Here are a couple of links that should be of assistance;
http://www.awc.org/pdf/WCD1-300.pdf http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuilding/how-to/articles/anatomy-stud-framed-wall.aspx

Bookmark   August 7, 2010 at 6:04PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HandyMac

If the wall is load bearing, the hole can be done by doing it the same as a window by installing the proper header over the opening. The link snoonyb listed will probably show how that is done.

Bookmark   August 8, 2010 at 12:48AM
More Discussions
Getting ready to remodel the second floor, where to start?
We are beginning to interview contractors. Would like...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Laying tile without cement board?
We pulled some tile up in several spaces. The tile...
nostalgicfarm
Remodel for your taste vs possible sale
We plan to be in our house for 4-5 more years. It's...
thbennet
Open or closed floor plan into dining room?
We are in the process of doing a home addition off...
betshsu
Structural Engineer - What do I need to Know?
I'm planning a kitchen gut/remodel in my three-story,...
Carrie B
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™