auction find

faytayNovember 15, 2012

Hi. Those of you who know me might remember one of my favorite passtimes is to go to auctions. I've stopped picking up $5 sewing machines because I'm pretty sure if you really don't know how many you have, you probably have enough, haha, but I wanted to share my latest find.

This quilt is all hand appliqued and hand quilted and since I will NEVER make one like this I decided to bid on this one. It is wonderfully made and in perfect condition, not a speck of dirt or wear anywhere. Well worth $80.

Shortly after I won this they started auctioning a 'box of material'. I've promised myself never to bid on anything I hadn't checked out beforehand but I somehow missed this. I ended up bidding and getting it for $25. I immediately had buyer's remorse since it was unknown 'material', but it ended up being quite a score. Besides several yards of nice cotton there were several sets of hand appliqued blocks. I haven't posted pictures for awhile, so I'll try to add one of those.

I actually feel really bad that there was no one in this lady's family who kept these, but I'm going to try and do them justice.

Did I mention I LOVE auctions ;)

Cheers!

Faye

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
faytay

There are 20 of the flower circles. The same block as the quilt but these all use the same fabrics in all the blocks. There are 12 scrappy of the pointy ones, 12 scrappy of the ladies with parasols with all the embroidery done, 12 of the green fans and 6 of the ships. There is only one of the last green block, but a whole lot of pieces already cut.

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 7:04PM
sandlapper_rose

Faye,
Too funny about the sewing machines, but I have to say that quilt is beautiful. I know you will enjoy it.

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 7:09PM
toolgranny

Boy do I want to come to auctions with you. What a score. Congratulations.

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 7:33PM
msmeow

What a great find, Faye! The quilt is lovely.
Donna

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 9:02PM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Faye, The quilt is absolutely beautiful!!! You scored big at this auction....even the blocks! I'm with you about the family not keeping the quilt or blocks.

SharonG/FL

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 9:36PM
teresa_nc7

You definitely have the touch when it comes to buying at auctions! Good decision about no more $5 machines. At one point my neighbor (a dear person) was buying old machines at estate sales, then giving them to me??? I finally had to gently tell her I had enough.....

Teresa

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 10:24PM
tuppermom

Great score Faye! I love auctions as well and have also acquired "$5 machines"!

Mary

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 10:41PM
grammyp

Nice score! I need to go to your auctions. That quilt is beautiful.

beverly

Bookmark   November 16, 2012 at 12:03AM
nannykins

Lucky girl!
Beautiful buys.
Theresa

Bookmark   November 16, 2012 at 7:23AM
lafonda_ranch

Great find!! Those blocks look like some of the blocks used in the Baltimore Album quilt. Have fun!

Robbi

Bookmark   November 16, 2012 at 7:40AM
chickie1

Lucky you! I agree that the family missed out on the beautiful quilt. My hubby loves auctions too. He has brought home several quilts that we have fallen in love with. My daughters even thought my granny made them. Again, luck you.
darlene

Bookmark   November 16, 2012 at 8:03AM
magothyrivergirl

Wow! Beautiful quilt! Great buy on the surprise blocks-I suspect my family will be doing the same thing with my 'stuff'-lol.

At least the family gave a lucky person like you the opportunity to appreciate the blocks.

Bookmark   November 16, 2012 at 9:27AM
littlehelen_gw

Well done on the auction! I do hope your lovely quilt was label..? and those blocks are awesome...I look forward to seeing what you create from your find.

V.

Bookmark   November 16, 2012 at 12:33PM
nanajayne

Congratulations on your wonderful choices. The quilt is fantastic and so are the blocks. Can't help but feel sad for the person who made them but know they would be happy that they found someone who appreciates them as you do.
You have the material to make other wonderful quilts with all the interesting blocks. Have fun.

Bookmark   November 16, 2012 at 3:41PM
quiltnhen

What wonderful finds. Looks like they made into just the right home.

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 11:26PM
day2day

Faye...what a score! The quilt is just beautiful. It is in such great condition.
TFS.

~Geraldine

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 10:28AM
lilypad22

Thats just wonderful you won the auction. Both are quite a find!

tish

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 8:20PM
maritime_linda

Fay, you really hit the jackpot. That is a beautiful quilt and what a bonus getting all those blocks. Won't you have fun putting those together!

Linda

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 8:32PM
More Discussions
I'm new here and sharing my quilts
Hello, I'm new to your forum, but not new to sewing....
craftylady
Quilting ideas please
The sailboat quilt will be put in the frame this evening....
grammyp
Need advice on batting and a little help with Houzz
I have only made two quilts, both small ones, and have...
donna_loomis
Just finished
Pattern called Diamond Double from Cozy Quilt. If you...
nannykins
Q for you re blue jean quilts
A group of ladies and myself will be making quilts...
bev2009
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™