siding on small 70s ranch

madutoAugust 13, 2012

We are getting new siding for our 70s ranch. I'm thinking that normal horizontal vinyl siding all over would look boring. As you can see, the house has a small front area, which is the area I'm most concerned with (shrubs in front need to be trimmed..covering red brick) We would like to add a little interest somehow, maybe with shingles or something. Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chibimimi

Shingles would look charming on your home, either uneven-edge or even-edge. They would give your home a welcoming cottage feel.

Since you already have brick along the fourth or so of your home, it would be best to eliminate that horizontal line at window-top height. Don't change materials there -- keep the siding the same up to the roof.

Are those shutters on either side of the bay window? Lose them. They look silly and far too small to be real.

Bookmark   August 13, 2012 at 6:49PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chibimimi

Uh, sorry, I meant SHAKES, not shingles!

Bookmark   August 14, 2012 at 10:03PM
More Discussions
question about getting a bid from contractors
We're getting ready to put an addition on our house...
sparkleblue75
Pocket door questions
I am considering a butler's pantry/scullery addition...
rockybird
4" or 5" rounded newell posts--where to order?
Is there such a thing as a 4" or 5" round...
bisondaktelcom
Help with exterior remodel!
Help! I want to remodel the exterior of my house. ...
Jeff Holmes
I want to use LVT for the wall...
I want to use LVT to replace the worn wallpaper for...
sandra2288
Sponsored Products
Little Cottage 10 x 10 ft. 5-Sided Colonial Panelized Garden Shed Multicolor - 1
Hayneedle
Little Cottage 8 x 8 Stratford Schoolhouse Wood Playhouse Multicolor - 8X8STRATF
Hayneedle
Ellington Table Lamp
Lightology
Little Cottage Sara Victorian 10 x 18 Mansion Wood Playhouse Multicolor - 10X18M
Hayneedle
SmartShield Protectant Concentrate
$69.50 | FRONTGATE
Boraam Madison Dining Table in Cappuccino
Beyond Stores
Little Cottage 8 x 10 Stratford Schoolhouse Wood Playhouse Multicolor - 8X10STRA
Hayneedle
Little Cottage 8 x 10 Gingerbread Wood Playhouse - 8X10GINGERBREAD W/O FLOOR KIT
Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™