terrazzo shower pan -to keep or not to keep??? help!

coconutlemongrassAugust 14, 2014

We are replacing the tile on our shower walls due to crumbling grout and bowing tiles and noticed 2 small hairline fractures in the Terrazzo (I believe it is Terrazzo?) shower pan. We believe this shower base is original to our house built in 1967. We've had no problems with leaking that we are aware of, so we would love to leave it in place and not disturb it, but it clearly has water stains that we have not managed to get off yet and it also has 2 small hairline cracks which don't seem to be causing problems now....but maybe they will later and who knows how much later. Has anyone dealt with Terrazzo and know if we should try to get more years out of this beast or if we should pay the extra money and replace it with Swanstone or an Onyx shower pan. We are just trying to minimize our expenses since this whole renovation was not out of desire but out of necessity due to failing tiles.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
coconutlemongrass

Here is another picture of the Terrazzo shower pan with hairline cracks.

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 2:36PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Trebruchet

The right guy with the right tools will have that pan looking great in several hours. You won't be sorry if you save it; demolition is forever.

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 9:14PM
More Discussions
Bad Countertop Fabrication
Hello, Hoping to get some advice/opinions! We just...
diynola
Remodel for your taste vs possible sale
We plan to be in our house for 4-5 more years. It's...
thbennet
extending roof with a patio cover and it's tight
I have a fifty year old Santa Fe style house (old style,...
JPT
What to do with fireplace/bookcase
I have an old fireplace that needs a rehab badly. What...
jbryan21
"Green" Remodeling - where to start?
We would like to remodel using materials and processes...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™