Kitchen island tile swap

deandiamondAugust 2, 2014

Hi there, I am planning to change out the tile on my island. I noticed a spot where the grout is fallen out and thought what better time to do this project. My question is will I be ok just sawing the tiles and grout out (with a grout saw of course), or will I need to take trim off, and possibly rebuild the entire top? Any input would be appreciated. (Excuse the mess as well...)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deandiamond

Pic of the grout crack

Bookmark   August 2, 2014 at 1:29PM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

You will have to rebuild the entire top. Meaning demo'ing it all first. Demo of a tile counter is a very messy PIA. If you can do that DIY, you can probably get a remnant piece of a stone slab installed for just a little more than all of the materials (and time) to redo it in tile. And then you will have a smooth no grout surface on which to work.

Bookmark   August 2, 2014 at 1:35PM
deandiamond

Thanks for this. I had assumed it wasn't as easy as replacing the tiles. I would think a slab, of any desirable material, would be significantly more expensive than the tile would be. Do you have special sources for remnants? I was also considering to do the top in butcher block instead, which I may attempt to build myself.

Bookmark   August 2, 2014 at 4:29PM
numbersjunkie

Is the same tile on your surrounding counters? I agree that a better solution would be a solid surface top that complements the other counters. I don't know where you live, but most fabricators have remnant pieces you could select from. It would be so much better than tile and much less work to install. I would definitely look into that before starting such a labor intensive project. Plus, I think 2 different tiles in the same space would look strange.

Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 11:29AM
debrak2008

Why not just fix the grout? If you are going to take it all apart do something solid, if not just fix it.

Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 7:34PM
ardcp

to give you and idea of remnant cost, at the granite fabricators here, granite ranges from $70-$110 per sq ft but the remnants are between $50-$60 per sq ft. not sure how big your island is but it may be possible to get a remnant.
also hd and lowes are cheaper that granite places in my area but i didn't want to risk a bad install with all the counters. with just the island piece (no cutouts or sink install) i would think it would be fine to go with the box stores. they have sales on counter material all the time.

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 10:22AM
deandiamond

Thanks for all the input! I don't like the color of the tile, so I had wanted to switch it out with something else. The hole in the grout is always covered so its not a worry of mine. Sounds like something solid is the way to go, but I think it will be a bit higher than the budget I planned for this project. Anyway, all the input is very helpful.

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 12:37PM
debrak2008

If you are still reading this thread.... Maybe consider very large format porcelain tiles.

check out this kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: porcelain tile counters

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 8:21AM
More Discussions
Inquiry into Counterfeit Faucet Certification Marks.
Faucets sold in North America are regulated. They are...
StarCraft Custom Builders
What kind of awning can I add with this roof line?
Hi All, We want to add an awning outside of our front...
tmolly
Getting ready to remodel the second floor, where to start?
We are beginning to interview contractors. Would like...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Shaker style question
What are y'all's opinions on Shaker style cabinetry....should...
janelor
Cutting a notch into rafters to push LVLs into the ceiling?
We have a load-bearing wall we'd like to remove. We...
progressnerd
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™