Sneak peek - typhoon bordeaux green is in!

akcorcoranApril 3, 2013

I know it's best to way for beauty shots for reveals but folks have helped me so much here along the way, I couldn't help it. The countertops went in last night and I'm in love! Here's my new Typhoon Bordeaux Green...

Bottom pic is the backsplash - It's not being held right though. bottom row of travertine on top of countertop will be perpendicular, then the glass tile border, then the rest up to the cabinet will be on the 45 degree diamond pattern. Can't wait!

Now if I can only figure out the pendants, I'll be in good shape. I feel like I'm the only person in the world who doesn't want industrial-type pendants these days! I just feel like they are heavy for the space.

Anyway, voila!

P.S. Kohler Vinnata faucets aren't actually mounted yet - just leaning there for me to see how they looked. :-)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
akcorcoran

Aw, can't help it - one more of the island - that's what it was all about for me.

Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 8:29PM
sail_away

Lovely kitchen---and the granite is beautiful! I can see why you're so excited. Love it.

Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 8:34PM
SaraKat

Well, that's because that island is stellar!!! Gorgeous slab! Wow, it really looks stunning. Nice combo with the cabinets. Enjoy it in good health! Beautiful. I am liking your back splash tile selections too!

Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 8:36PM
akcorcoran

Yay - thanks, everyone!

I nearly had a nervous breakdown because I was choosing a stone with movement and color and not something super neutral that you see in most "trends" these days. But my cabinets were neutral and creamy and they really surround the kitchen, leaving the island as the centerpiece. There is a bronze glaze in the cabinets that you can't really see in the photos - why do we always end up taking them at night in the worst lighting? :-) Anyway, it really came out just as I imagined it!

I am SO excited for when the backsplash goes in because the glass tile is beautiful.

The lights are my latest up-all-night-dilemma so if you've got ideas, I'd love to hear them. I so appreciate GW!

Here's a closeup of the border with the travertine and the paint color. And then the second photo of the four 1x1 glass tile colors - those are the colors being used in the "feature" in the backsplash for the rangetop, underneath the hood. There are 2x2s in green that have a single pattern from the border (the cris-crossing circles) and then the colors make up the background. Hopefully it's backsplash jewelry!

Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 9:07PM
Holly- Kay

I love it. I originally chose a Netuno Bordeaux. It had more green than your Typhoon Bordeaux but had the same amount of movement. It is absolutely stunning. I think I am going to call my KD in the morning to see if I can start over in my search but it may be too late.

Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 9:30PM
SparklingWater

It's wonderful! Thanks for the peek. Keeps us moving too. I think your backsplash is going to look smashing with your countertops.

Will you use a low profile undercabinet light? We've been posting about such (hard wire and low voltage) here on kitchens and on lighting. I'm actively searching right now.

Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 9:34PM
justmakeit

What a knock out that granite is! Gorgeous. Can't wait to see the whole thing put together!

No suggestions here for lights -- good luck with that decision. I'm sweating over paint colors right now.

Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 10:20PM
williamsem

Beautiful! Congrats!

Looks like you're getting close, how exciting!

Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 10:28PM
motherof3sons

That is gorgeous! Love all the tile choices. I would have jumped all over that stone if it had been at the stone yard.

Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 10:32PM
breezygirl

Your stone is pretty! And I'm with you on the non-industrial pendants. For me, they're too overdone at this point. Looking forward to see your kitchen all put together.

Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 10:33PM
taggie

Wow that is soooooooooo pretty!!

Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 10:39PM
purrus

Stunning!! I love it!

Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 10:42PM
cat_mom

Fabulous!

Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 11:06PM
momto3kiddos

Beautiful!!! I'm an island girl myself, so I get your excitement. I love the movement and the colors. Very nice. Keep posting pics as you continue to finish up!

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 3:50AM
akcorcoran

Thank you, everyone! I so appreciate your support - now but even moreso when I turn here for advice and information. You are all such an invaluable resource! Xoxox

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 5:36AM
akcorcoran

SparklingWater, we are going with LED under counter lighting that comes in a thin strip with double sided adhesive. I know that sounds crazy but it's a teeny strip of LED lights that then hook up to a small transformer (nothing you see.). You run it under the cabinet and i believe it comes in 20 ft increments. I was super skeptical until I spent time at the local high-end lighting stores looking at it, talking to the experts and reading about it online. I'll try to find your posts and pass on more info about it. Good luck!

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 5:44AM
Linda

Wow! I can see why you're in love!

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 6:49AM
SparklingWater

Thanks for the feedback akcorcoran. Yes, I'm thinking low voltage will solve my profile problem and will talk with my GC. Hard wire low profile (which isn't typically low enough) isn't going to work for me I don't think. Do not want to see anything viewing across the room (3/4" light rail).

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 8:05AM
ak0402

That granite is to die for! I am a total movementy-granite girl. Congratulations on your beautiful kitchen.

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 8:16AM
MizLizzie

Oh, dear, that is truly gorgeous. Typhoon bordeaux was my second choice behind Cambria Shirebrook. Now having severe countertop envy . . . .

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 8:56AM
geomeg

Beautiful granite!! It looks great with your cabinets!

May I ask you what finish your faucets are? The Vinnatta is one I'm considering but can't decide on a finish, lol.

I know what you mean about these decisions keeping us up all night!

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 8:57AM
heidihausfrau

Love love love it! And all of your backsplash and paint choices look spot on! Way to go!

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 8:58AM
azpedsrn

So gorgeous!

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 1:14PM
chiefy

Gore.gous.
And I am in love with the combo with the sparkly backsplash tile. Clipping this post for sure!

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 4:06PM
debrak_2008

Really nice!

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 4:18PM
momtofour

Oooh, I love your granite!! I think the backsplash goes with it really well. A close friend did travertine 4x4 with pewter 2x2 dots in your accent tile. I can't wait to see finished pictures!

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 4:38PM
a2gemini

That is absolutely gorgeous! I can't wait to see the final reveal!!
I can't really tell about the BS on my computer screen - but will trust your eyes!!
I think I had those same glass tiles to view - they match your colors in the granite nicely.

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 7:21PM
raehelen

You're going to hate to put anything ON those counters, and cover that granite up! That BS is also gorgeous! It really looks like it was custom made for your granite!

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 10:56PM
bowyer123

That granite has it all, I love it!

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 12:26AM
akcorcoran

I love all of you for loving it! I already want to drape myself on it every night and the backsplash isn't even in yet! Starting that tomorrow. Hooray!

And, I am hoping that, like raehelen said, that my not wanting to put anything on the countertop to cover it up will carry over to my DH and two DDs 9 and 10 yrs old. Or I'll be hounding them every day!

Sigh - such a relief to feel good about this. So many major decisions!

Thank you again, everyone!

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 2:09PM
kaysd

Gorgeous stone! I can see why you are in love. I love the color and movement too. The BS looks like a great match.

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 5:27PM
terrinm

Gorgeous! This one is on my short list and I'm so glad to see it installed. Can't wait to see your backsplash

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 10:15PM
Holly- Kay

I just love, love, love that granite! I can't imagine anything prettier. Because of you and your beautiful granite I went for the Typhoon also. It isn't as lovely as yours but I fell in love with it! The Netuno was way too green(and already sold so maybe that is just sour grapes) but had the gorgeous movement in it that your's does. I just can't wait to see your whole kitchen when the BS is done! Best wishes for many wonderful years in your new kitchen!

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 10:51PM
weimom

It is so beautiful! I have Typhoon Bordeaux in my Master Bath and I love it!

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 10:52PM
juleecat

Love your granite and BS! We just put a downpayment on 2 slabs of TB! Our current bs is 4x4 travertine set on diagonal, and fabricator assures us he can preserve it with teatout of old counters. Is there a seam anywhere in your granite? We may need one on the diagonal in the L-shaped corner. Fabricator said he won't cut anything until we approve placement of templates though. And that's still several weeks away- awaiting new island. So I will live vicariously through your pix! Enjoy!

Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 5:24PM
Christina Crowe

i had to chime in--just invested in netuno bordeaux that i'm praying looks not too wild with my simple-style canvas kraftmaid cabinets and wood floors. nothing is installed yet and i went for it on the granite. after starting looking at all the whites and grays out there, i went in the opposite direction. i also ordered champagne bronze faucet and cabinet knobs as we have a traditional house with lots of brass doorknobs. i hope it's not "too much" but think i will love it. here are some poorly lit photos of our slabs (Why don't granite places invest in better lighting?) which are much lighter in person. hoping for a warm, not too contemporary look in the end.

Bookmark   February 10, 2015 at 12:21PM
jan_in_davis

Gorgeous!! I love the movement and the subtle colors, and your backsplash tiles mesh so perfectly with the granite.

Bookmark   February 10, 2015 at 12:55PM
tinker1121

So pretty!! Everything is just perfect and can't wait to see it with the bs. Hopefully you won't make us wait too long and will do another sneak peak?????

Bookmark   February 10, 2015 at 5:34PM
desertsteph

wow! now that's one granite I'd pet! you're trying to make me want granite, aren't you? My sister hates the green granite her dh picked out for their bathroom - she'd love this. I won't tell her and make her more miserable tho.

this one goes right with rain forest to be my 2 favorites! oh, and the Van Gogh (I think that's the turquoise one I love). tho that one would probably be too much for me on a counter. maybe a small piece for wall artwork.

I also don't care so much for most industrial lighting. You'll find the right one.

can't wait to see it all done. Think I need to save one of your pics so I can just look at it off and on...

Bookmark   February 10, 2015 at 7:01PM
steph2000

Since this old thread got resurrected, I just wanted to complement you, Christine, on your granite. It sounds like your kitchen is going to be a beautiful, organic space. Don't forget to post a reveal when you are done so we can live vicariously.

Bookmark   February 10, 2015 at 9:49PM
tinker1121

I didn't realize with was an old thread. Where can we see the finished kitchen?

Bookmark   February 11, 2015 at 4:49PM
Christina Crowe
Didn't mean to hijack this post in any way, just excited to see someone else in love with the Bordeaux granites.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 12, 2015 at 9:25AM
Holly- Kay

Christina your Netuno Bordeaux is just lovely. I fell in love with one but it was a lot more green than yours and was already sold so I went with Typhoon Bordeaux and love it. The Netuno will look fabulous with white cabs. Please post pics of your kitchen when it's installed.

Bookmark   February 12, 2015 at 11:58AM
Mags438

Really gorgeous stone. Wow! I should have waited it out for the typhoon Bordeaux instead of settling for the crappy granite I put in bath.

Bookmark   February 12, 2015 at 2:25PM
More Discussions
Strategies for washing dishes in a large single sink vs double sink
Hi all, We have in our plans to get a large (33 inch)...
ontariomom
Does this butler pantry addition add or detract from my kitchen?
My midcentury home has a very open plan and lots of...
rockybird
Undermount sink keeps separating from granite
We recently had granite installed in our kitchen and...
stnjan
Kitchen Reveal - White Cabinets/Soapstone
Hi all, I wanted to post the before/after pics of our...
runnergirl79
What "Marble" Substitute Did You Go With?
I'm on the fence, whether I would be OK with marble...
aloha2009
Sponsored Products
Yosemite Home Decor 36 in. Ceiling Fan Extension Downrod Patina Grey 36DRPG
$23.40 | Home Depot
Lineas Drum Pendant by ELK Lighting
$270.00 | Lumens
Bordeaux King/ California King Headboard
Overstock.com
Crosby Bordeaux Thermal Insulated 48-by-63 inch Pinch Pleated Foamback Curtains
$55.95 | Bellacor
Winnie the Pooh Big Face Bowl - Set of Two
$11.99 | zulily