Anyone heard of such a thing?

jennifer_in_vaNovember 2, 2010

I am making a baby quilt made out of 500+ 2" squares. The instructions say to use the fusible interfacing grid.

I've done this before and like the ease of the process, however it comes out very stiff. I don't like this idea for a baby quilt which I hope will be well used & loved.

Has anyone ever heard of this fusible/printed grid done in a disolvable material rather than the interfacing?

Has anyone used the lightest weight fusible for this type of project? Does it make the final quilt any more flexible & light??

Thanks for suggestions.

Jennifer

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
toolgranny

Jen, why couldn't you get the solvy stuff and mark your own grid on it. Then use a spray basting to lay them out and hold them in place. Then just stitch and wash it away. I don't think they make a solvy that is also fusible. But you could easily grid it if you can get the fabric to stick to it.

Bookmark   November 2, 2010 at 6:49PM
jennifer_in_va

Well, that's definitely a thought. I think I have some of that...wonder what size it is? If I mark a grid with a Sharpie, do you think it'd bleed through pale colored fabric?

thanks

Bookmark   November 2, 2010 at 10:04PM
toolgranny

I think I'd use a pigma pen. Try a small sample first. I don't think it would bleed but you never know. Remember the grid itself would be in the seam allowance so should wash away.

Bookmark   November 2, 2010 at 10:11PM
magothyrivergirl

Have you seen this product? I don't know if this would help you or not, but just in case....

Here is a link that might be useful: FLANNEL GRID

Bookmark   November 3, 2010 at 2:24PM
jennifer_in_va

Ooooh, MRG! That might work. I not sure I'd want to quilt with batting then, maybe making it too thick. But that's a definite possibility!

Thanks

Bookmark   November 3, 2010 at 6:10PM
mary_c_gw

But the flannel grid is only meant (as I understand the ad) to be a design wall type of thing. I don't think they intend one to sew it all together.

Quote from the ad:

"for laying out your quilt projects, making a design wall and holding the pieces in place without pins. A must for watercolor and colorwash quilts"

I'm certain they don't intend this to be sewn into a quilt as a foundation layer.

Bookmark   November 4, 2010 at 12:12AM
jennifer_in_va

Mary,
THey may not intend it for that purpose, but aside from the extra material inside a quilt, it could work. I don't think the flannel would be quite as stiff as the fusible interfacing and maybe could replace the batting layer.

I'll have to think on things a bit more...

Bookmark   November 4, 2010 at 10:46AM
magothyrivergirl

Jennifer, make sure the flannel does not have a plastic backing attached, like the Fons & Porter design grid. I have seen gridded fabric /flannel that was definitely intended to be sewn along the grid after you laid out your squares. I suggest you call and find out if this product is meant to be sewn. I would be interested in what you find out if you investigate further.

Bookmark   November 5, 2010 at 8:12AM
More Discussions
2015 Block Lotto At a Glance
This is going to be a long post, so apologies in advance...
polardreams
Jamestown Landing ready to quilt.
I got the top done and loaded onto the frame. I am...
jackier123
2015 March Block Lotto
Welcome to the March Block Lotto! The lotto is open...
toolgranny
Quilting ideas please
The sailboat quilt will be put in the frame this evening....
grammyp
Are you quilting this weekend? March 27-29
I stayed up late last night making a teapot block for...
lindaoh_gw
Sponsored Products
Glass Cover Crystal Flush Mount
ParrotUncle
GlideRite 1.57-inch Clear K9 Crystal Cabinet Knobs (Pack of 10)
Overstock.com
Cypress 57" Octagonal Walk-In Table
Fifthroom.com
Satellite Sconce
Design Within Reach
Metro Locking Wall-Mount Mailbox
Signature Hardware
Polished Chrome Six-Light Crystal Chandelier
$518.00 | Bellacor
Free Pad New Hand Knotted Wool Runner Balouch Multi-Color Boxes Design
BH Sun Inc
Crystorama Delancey 10 1/2" High Bronze Sconce