What kind of starch do you use?

downsouthNovember 5, 2011

I just read the post about using a #2 regular pencil to mark a quilt....dated back to August.

Some of the ladies said they use starch before they mark a quilt with a regular pencil and the lines do wash out. I have been afraid to try a regular #2 pencil, but I'm ready to try it! What kind of starch do you use? I used to buy Faultless Starch many years ago, but I had problems with it flaking, now all I use is Magic Sizing. Does that "qualify" for this purpose, lol?

Thanks, Devonne

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosajoe_gw

I use so much starch that I mix my own! This way I can only mix small batch as needed and it is much cheaper.

Magic Sizing will work and mark with a light hand.

Rosa

Bookmark   November 5, 2011 at 4:06PM
calliope

guilty of using all sorts of things to mark sewing lines from carbon paper to tailor's chalk, to pencils to wash-out children's magic markers. All seems to have laundered out so far. I like to just use my tailor's chalk I mark darts with when sewing. It wipes off with a spritz of water from my mister and a gentle swipe of the hand.

Spray starch seems to have come a long way from a few decades ago when it routinely used to gunk up my iron's plate. I am like Rosajoe in that I really like the old-fashioned starch one buys in a box and mixes. Argo. But I don't use it when making blocks but should.

Bookmark   November 7, 2011 at 12:38PM
petalpatsy

I have Sta-Flo liquid concentrate that I dilute into my own trigger sprayer. I really like a can of spray starch once in a while--especially in winter, and it has to be original scent. When I was little, I spent a bazillion and one hours practicing piano in the basement while my mom ironed my father's dress shirts--he was a teacher, so he didn't get ironed shirts in the summer. I only took piano lessons to get out of gym, so the practice responsibility was a shocker. That starch scent gives me childhood nostalgia, but now I've got my own teenagers and somehow I'm laughing with my mother at me.

Bookmark   November 7, 2011 at 1:08PM
nannykins

I cannot find liquid starch here in Windsor so mostly use the sprays. I must ask one of my friends who shops in Detroit to see if she can find some.
I remember my mother making her own starch for clothes with corn starch. Would that work if it were watered down a bit??? or a lot????

theresa

Bookmark   November 7, 2011 at 4:19PM
calliope

The argo starch here is a dry form. Yes, I suppose one could make their own starch. I think the old-timers did. I wonder, however, if something is added to commercial clothes starches to retard mildews? Can you imagine making starch from food starch and using it on a shirt, putting it away in a closet and taking it out with mildew on it? I have used that in a pinch under wallpaper if a corner lets loose, and it can get moldy.

Bookmark   November 7, 2011 at 6:42PM
More Discussions
I'm new here and sharing my quilts
Hello, I'm new to your forum, but not new to sewing....
craftylady
a question regarding binding
I know. I'm just full of questions. I want to make...
donna_loomis
damascusannie
Would you mind sharing your links for the old Singer...
csackett
Quilting ideas please
The sailboat quilt will be put in the frame this evening....
grammyp
10th Annual Quilt Retreat 2015
Hi Folks! We are beginning the process of planning...
jennifer_in_va
Sponsored Products
Bonita Light Pendant in Gray Tint
$199.99 | Dot & Bo
Indoor Area Rug: Lucarne Rose Tones 9' x 12' 2" Plush
Home Depot
TKO 9 ft. Leather Jump Rope With Wood Handles - TKO-JUR011
$17.99 | Hayneedle
Staccato One-Light Coupe Wall Sconce in Toned Gold Leaf Finish
$903.00 | Bellacor
Savon Du Chef Odor Remover Soap by Alessi
$27.00 | Lumens