Moss on Metal Roof?

sadiebugAugust 18, 2011

Does moss grow on a metal roof?

It's time to replace the asphalt shingles on our home & we're trying to decide between asphalt shingles and galvalume metal. The house is nestled in the woods in New England and there's a lot of moss on the current roof. We removed some trees a few years ago & don't want to remove any more.

We've been told that moss won't be a problem on a metal roof, would really appreciate hearing about anyone's experience with this issue.

Thank you!

Sadie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Windows on Washington

Moss will certainly be reduced, however, I have seen very slight moss growth on a metal roof. The roof was much older and in near perfect growing conditions, however, it is possible.

By comparison to asphalt, you will be miles away.

Here is a good site that goes into everything that is metal roofing: http://www.metalroofing.com/v2/forums/index.cfm?action=mboard.members.ViewCategories

Here is a link that might be useful: Metal Roofing Alliance

Bookmark   August 22, 2011 at 5:53PM
aliris19

I wonder whether it depends on the kind of metal roof, angle, and dampness of the environment?

My parents have a gabled, maybe? (I really don't know the right terminology but that's probably not right), nearly-flat roof that was formerly made with a small gravel on it. That grew an impressive crop of moss. Eventually it had to be replaced and they've used a metal and nary a moss tendril has stayed. How general that is I cannot say. It is in the woods of NH, very damp. The angle of the roof is not steep. It's been many years now and I think if it were going to grow back it would have by now. Unfortunately I do not know the kind of metal, though.

Bookmark   August 28, 2011 at 3:25AM
PRO
Windows on Washington

You are exactly right.

If the roof is low slope, holds moisture and organic matter, you have the recipe for moss growth.

Moisture + Food source + less exposure = moss growth.

Whatever level of moss you grow on a metal roof will be 10X more on asphalt.

Bookmark   August 28, 2011 at 11:51AM
More Discussions
when and how to cut contractor loose?
We have been living a bathroom nightmare! All started...
BathroomBlues
Shaker style question
What are y'all's opinions on Shaker style cabinetry....should...
janelor
extending roof with a patio cover and it's tight
I have a fifty year old Santa Fe style house (old style,...
JPT
What decisions, materials, can cut costs when remodeling?
If you really have a budget to work within, how do...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Structural Engineer - What do I need to Know?
I'm planning a kitchen gut/remodel in my three-story,...
Carrie B
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™