pocket door - soften close against jamb

homeboundAugust 3, 2012

I just installed a pocket door kit (Johnson 1500) using 24" solid core doors. This is for a master bathroom. To add privacy I also added door stops to the jamb to create a recess for the door edge. There will not be the standard Johnson latch so I'm wondering about sliding it closed and having something to deaden the door hit when it meets the jamb. Any ideas? I'm considering a silicone bumper or two (such as used for cabinet doors), but don't want the door to bounce off it but get muffled instead. Thoughts appreciated.

(BTW, in case anyone is wondering, the privacy lock will be a flip-out type that is installed into the door face on the inside near the split jamb side. When it's flipped open it braces the door against the split jamb.)

Thanks much.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GW-fan

We have 5 Johnson pocket doors in our home and put small, clear silicone bumpers at the very top and bottom of the door. Three of them were installed 10 years ago and still work fabulously. I love them and love the extra space in bathrooms in particular. The bumpers not only protect the wood, but also make them much more quiet.

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 10:14AM
homebound

I thought it would work so I'll go with that plan. Thanks much.

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 10:23PM
brickeyee

A small piece of foam weatherstripping at the top edge of the door usually works.

It can be above the bottom of the top jamb so it barely shows.

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 4:09PM
More Discussions
What to do with fireplace/bookcase
I have an old fireplace that needs a rehab badly. What...
jbryan21
1960 Ranch Remodel
We recently moved into a 1960 ranch home in Vestavia...
Red Mountain Media
Laying tile without cement board?
We pulled some tile up in several spaces. The tile...
nostalgicfarm
What kind of awning can I add with this roof line?
Hi All, We want to add an awning outside of our front...
tmolly
House remodel
Well I got the numbers for the remodel of my 1950s...
buckeye_11
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™