Gut and new roof - type of contractor?

seekingsunJuly 8, 2013

We are buying a new property which includes a main house (in good condition) and an additional smaller house which is in bad disrepair. The roof has been leaking, ceiling is falling in and animals have made themselves at home...We want to gut the inside (including asbestos tile) and then most likely an entirely new roof (trusses, deck, etc) needs to be installed. We want to do this up front to get it weather tight and then will work on finishing the interior ourselves. Looking online I don't know who to contact to do this. A demolition company and a new home builder (for the roof)? All the remodeling contractors don't seem to do roof work like this. I was searching on Angie's List but couldn't seem to find the category I need. Any advice would be helpful! TIA!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
millworkman

A good local General Contractor with good references should be all that you need. You may need an architect or an engineer of your going to remove and reframe the roof but a good GC will let you know for certain.

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 9:09AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
live_wire_oak

You'll need an architect and a general contractor, in that order. You will have to have concrete drawn plans for the permits, and you'll need someone who can manage various trades and schedule them in the correct sequence. You also probably will not get this done before moving in. There's the old adage, Fast. Good. Cheap. Pick two. All three are impossible.

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 9:24AM
More Discussions
What to do with fireplace/bookcase
I have an old fireplace that needs a rehab badly. What...
jbryan21
House remodel
Well I got the numbers for the remodel of my 1950s...
buckeye_11
2x8 Joists are 1.75x7.75 and 2x6 Joists are 1.75x5.75? why is this?
Posted this in another forum but looking for more answers. I...
tlbean2004
when and how to cut contractor loose?
We have been living a bathroom nightmare! All started...
BathroomBlues
Remodel for your taste vs possible sale
We plan to be in our house for 4-5 more years. It's...
thbennet
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™