What would you do with brick living room wall?

arkansaswifeyJuly 10, 2006

I am compiling ideas for our home remodel and I have a dilemma. In our living room/dining room combo (L-shaped), we have a wall that consists of a sliding patio door and the rest of the wall is brick with a fireplace (no mantle) and a regular-sized window. There is a 15" brick ledge that runs the entire length of the wall starting at the patio door.

Does anyone have any ideas of what we can do to this wall? We love our wood-burning fireplace, but the wall is just too plain.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
laplanter

Can you post a picture? Something might jump out as a solution after seeing it. What would you like the look to be? Is it a casual looking room or more formal?

Bookmark   July 11, 2006 at 6:47PM
decolady

I have seen at least two episodes of Weekend Warriors on HGTV where the homeowners have drywalled over the brick wall. One just re-aired yesterday. In both cases the couples went from a full wall of brick to just a mantle and surround with the remaining wall being drywalled and painted. Drywall is a very inexpensive alternative if you're tired of the brick look.

Also you can just paint the brick if you choose to go that route.

Bookmark   July 11, 2006 at 7:55PM
cecleto

What about priming it and then painting it in a beige or white? I have a brick fireplace and I'm going to faux the bricks in light and dark beige. Gives it a rich look. Then paint the grout with a color about 2-3 times darker than the faux. Very inexpensive and beautiful.

Bookmark   July 15, 2006 at 11:12PM
More Discussions
extending roof with a patio cover and it's tight
I have a fifty year old Santa Fe style house (old style,...
JPT
Remodel for your taste vs possible sale
We plan to be in our house for 4-5 more years. It's...
thbennet
Stair Problem
I'm hoping someone has a brilliant idea for me! I...
isabelyw
Removing brick and install what?
Just for the sake of discussion...if one was to remove...
mlo1
How does a General Contractor work...do I need one ?
I am new to remodeling anything in my house. I have...
jeannette10
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™