Add exterior door from dining room? Seeking opinions

mrsgomezJuly 8, 2013

We will be making some extensive repairs to our 100 year old Victorian house that involve opening up the rear exterior wall in the dining room.

Our structural engineer and GC say that this is a good opportunity to incorporate other improvements, such as replacing the window with a door and perhaps adding a porch, deck, or patio. We agree that it would be nice to make some sort of change here, as it would make the side yard more accessible

I would appreciate some advice or opinions on the matter. Based on the layout attached, would it be advisable to add an exterior door (single or double) from the dining room? Kitchens are a more traditional place for patio doors, but that's not an option given the current layout.

What we'd really love is to add a screen porch, but I'm afraid that's not an option given our limited space (per setback rules, shown in gray in the image), plus the fact that there is only one window in the kitchen which would likely get enclosed if a porch were added.

So, I'd love to hear some ideas about what we could do to make the most of this situation. Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
millworkman

I think a double french door or 2 panel slider would work perfectly there.

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 11:52AM
mrsgomez

Thanks! I was concerned it would be a traffic flow issue with a dining room table in the middle of the room.

Now I just have to figure out what the doors will lead out to since the dining room sits about 4 feet above grade. Architect comes tomorrow so I'm hoping to have a plan by then!

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 3:44PM
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b

Fit people will walk around a table and chairs to go to an inviting space outside. I say fit because depending on the space, fat might not fit!

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 4:37PM
mrsgomez

Thanks! I was concerned it would be a traffic flow issue with a dining room table in the middle of the room.

Now I just have to figure out what the doors will lead out to since the dining room sits about 4 feet above grade. Architect comes tomorrow so I'm hoping to have a plan by then!

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 5:33PM
Fori is not pleased

With French doors it'll be lovely even if it's tight. Just plan for door swing! We had a dining room with a pair of doors to a room that had started life as a porch and chairs had to be tucked in well to operate the doors. Totally worth it though.

You get stuff like this in old homes. It's part of their charm when done right.

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 7:58PM
More Discussions
adding a room, relocating stairs, relocating kitchen
My husband and I are planning on adding a one story...
soapstoneshel
I need help with making a decision to paint golden oak wood or restain
I have a 28 year old view home with dark bronze aluminum...
kimkollie
Joint Compound on Plaster Walls - Discoloration and bubbles?
We are having joint compound applied to our old plaster...
gqchynaboy
Pocket door questions
I am considering a butler's pantry/scullery addition...
rockybird
Renovate (which plan?) or sell
We are trying to make a decision about renovating our...
kercove
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™