Ikea cabinets, alternate door questions

six172April 11, 2014

Hello Everyone,

I'm cross posting this from over on Ikeafans.com. I'm not getting much of a response from anyone over there, so I thought I would try here.

We are in the process of building a new home and are looking to use IKEA cabinets in the kitchen. However, my lovely wife doesn't really like the doors and color combinations that are available. I have been looking at Scherr's cabinet and drawer fronts. The wife likes a couple of the styles and she has a stain she is interested in. This brings me to my first question. Where do I get the cover panels and pieces that will cover the sides of the cabinets? Does anyone else have experience with Scherr's, if so how was the experience and the quality?

I have attached the layout of the kitchen, although the island I think is going to be rotated 90 degrees because of the size. We wouldn't mind having a tiered island like in the design, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to make that happen with Ikea's cabinets. Any advice on this is appreciated as well.

Ikea Planner Main Cabinets
http://tinyurl.com/n4vtpko
Ikea Planner Island
http://tinyurl.com/oj6xwhq

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
amberm145_gw

I know nothing about Scherrs other than what I've read here. However, decorative side panels are typically just extra doors, so I assume they can provide those.

For the 2 tier island, they are built in 2 ways. Most commonly, you build a pony wall, that comes up a few inches above the lower counter. The cabinets are attached to one side, and the upper counter goes on top of the wall. You can also get brackets that attach to the lower cabinet and the upper counter sits on top.

The idea is that it creates a bar for sitting at. If you had taller cabinets on that side, there'd be no place for your legs.

Bookmark   April 11, 2014 at 11:52PM
nosoccermom

Have you looked at www.semihandmade.com for IKEA compatible doors?

Bookmark   April 12, 2014 at 11:36AM
writersblock

If you order custom doors, usually you get the trim pieces from the same supplier, especially if they're doing the finishing on them.

Bookmark   April 12, 2014 at 12:29PM
crl_

I would be surprised if scherr's can't provide end panels and so on. I'd email them and ask. Barkers is another commonly mentioned supplier for doors and drawer fronts for ikea kitchens.

Bookmark   April 12, 2014 at 1:50PM
feisty68

I've read positive reviews about Scherrs, and about Semihandmade. I think you can probably send them your planner file for a quote once you have figured out your door style. My local cabinet door fabricator is surprisingly inexpensive so I'm going to try them. But I'll have to supply exact measurements and do the precision drilling required.

Not sure if I understand your island question, but IKEA does sell brackets to elevate a countertop portion.

Bookmark   April 12, 2014 at 2:32PM
vsalz

I used cabinets now. Walnut doors on IKEA boxes. Bought the finishing pieces from the local lumberyard. Here is the link to the finished kitchen. The thread is long, but all the details are there.
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0113171920861.html

Here is a link that might be useful: vsalz kitchen

Bookmark   April 12, 2014 at 7:25PM
six172

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. The pony wall makes a lot of sense for the tiered island. Looks like I need to talk to Scherr's about the side panels, consensus is that will be something they provide to me.

Thanks again

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 7:26PM
More Discussions
Northern Jersey/Big Apple
I am going to be in this area for a couple weeks. I...
a2gemini
Layout review needed- please give feedback!
I think I'm getting closer to finalizing a plan for...
melis918
Here's as close to a reveal as I may ever get... :)
I'm not going to call this a reveal because I am not...
crcollins1_gw
KitchenAid Mixer - Sea glass or azure blue
I'm having a tough time deciding between the Sea glass...
sillyk
So confused!!
Okay kind people I need assistance as I am overwhelmed...
Susan McGoldrick-Meerdink
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™