Possible rental house has musty crawlspace

jewelisfabulousJuly 14, 2014

Looking at homes to purchase to rent out. In this area, very few homes have basements. Most are piers with crawlspace or slab. One property meets all our criteria BUT has a very musty crawlspace -- the smell hits ya the minute you open the door to look under the house. And, a bit of the musty smell can be detected inside the house on the first floor.

How can this be remedied? Would having the crawlspace "encapsulated" solve the issue?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grubby_AZ

I usually find that musty smells are a symptom of moisture and mold/fungus, and the remedy is usually as simple as correcting ventilation. Musty smells in a house suggest mold has gotten out of hand and is now in the living spaces or air systems. In the floor at the very least. Again, crawl space ventilation can ameliorate this but complete mitigation could be difficult and expensive.

On the first face of it, this is a place I would avoid living in for long term health reasons.

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 6:12PM
emoree

I'm dealing with my own musty basement/crawlspace issues right now. You'd need to find out if there is water actually coming into the basement or if it is just a ventilation issue. If it's water, it could be a bigger problem than you'd want to deal with especially if there are also foundation issues.

Make sure there's no water coming in (whether leaking from pipes, coming up through the ground, down through the edges of the foundation, or through the foundation walls or window wells, etc), see if there is currently a mold issue, and decide if it's worth pursuing the property. If you're looking for an easy rental opportunity I would probably avoid this one.

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 8:15PM
jewelisfabulous

Thanks, grubby and emoree. We'll going to check into the ventilation options and then decide if this house is worth the effort. Appreciate it!

Bookmark   July 17, 2014 at 7:50PM
jcalhoun

Foam encapsuation of the subfloor works but it not cheap at around $2000 to do 1600 sq ft. You will still need to ventilate too.

I had a big problem last year with groundwater under my house.

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 2:51AM
dcarch7

Ventilation may not work in your location. In the winter time, it can cause some pipes to freeze and burst.

Foam may not be a good vapor barrier.

May be a $100 dehumidifier will eliminate the problem.

dcarch

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 9:37AM
More Discussions
? remove wood siding b4 replacing with vinyl
I plan on having my 1950 split level resided in the...
abbey_cny
WCB QUESTION FOR CONTRACTORS
I live in BC, so I realize the answer may not be the...
houseofmagnolia
Designer vs contractor
Hi all, New to the forum here. Purchsed a 1960's bungalow...
houseofmagnolia
Dog Grooming/Bathing Station, show me your pictures, please
I really need to include a bathing/grooming area in...
thbennet
need help designing shed dormers
we bought an 1864 post and beam house and want to add...
lisafromvermont
Sponsored Products
New Tebriz Irani Persian Fire Orange Overdyed Hand Knotted Wool Rug H67
BH Sun Inc
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Momeni Rugs West Port SP-10 Sage 3 ft. 6
Home Depot
Mini T Fireplace Outdoor Cover by EcoSmart Fire
$89.00 | Lumens
Tube P5044 LED Bath Bar by George Kovacs
$230.00 | Lumens
Currey and Company Imlay Olive Porcelain Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Carrera Grande Golden Espresso 54-Inch Ceiling Fan with Walnut Solid Wood Blades
$416.00 | Bellacor
36" Dyer Walnut Vanity for Undermount Sink
Signature Hardware
Darlee Monterey Dining Chair - 301110-1
$289.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™