My least favorite part

imraineyNovember 16, 2010

I'm sewing the binding on a quilt.

I get excited taking each pin out as I sew up to it knowing that at least that part is DONE. But handling a quilt full of pins everywhere makes me nutz! Everything I touch pricks me and, to make it worse, I do my hand sewing at night, usually in jammies without a bra on and guess what gets stuck besides my hands when I lift it into the area I can see and work! =o

I know I'm probably the only one obsessive/compulsive enough to pin the entire binding. But once it's machine stitched to the front I want it to look done right away. I am my own worse enemy! =o

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bozogardener

Oh, I pin it too! Otherwise it will get twisted and won't lay right.

Bookmark   November 16, 2010 at 11:58AM
empress

Since you are moving it around so much as you work on it a bit at a time, why not do a loooong basting stitch instead of pinning or use safety pins instead of straight pins? I've done that because occasionally a straight pin that I didn't keep track of will work it's way out and either be found painfully, unexpectedly or drive me nuts looking for it when I realize it is not in place....

Bookmark   November 16, 2010 at 12:57PM
msmeow

I don't pin, except occasionally at the corners. I've seen people use little clips that look like hair clips...those wouldn't stick you.

Donna

Bookmark   November 16, 2010 at 1:13PM
toolgranny

I glue it down one side at a time, press the binding to dry glue and then sew. No pins. I stop and miter each corner and then glue another edge so I do it in four steps. Then I sew it to the back by hand. I do pin that down as I go, a few pins at a time to hold it rolled over where I want it.

Bookmark   November 16, 2010 at 2:46PM
ritaweeda

I never pin on binding. It always comes out well. I only pin long borders, and only minimally, and when joining blocks that have an intersecting seam that wouldn't look right if not matching exactly. But I don't stress over tiny imperfections, anyway, only giant, blatant mess-ups! My least favorite part is making the sandwich if the quilt is large.

Bookmark   November 16, 2010 at 3:11PM
lindaoh_gw

I use binding clips to hold the binding. I bought lots of them when I was a new quilter, but found I don't need that many. I just clip a few inches and move the clips down as I sew.
Linda OH

Here is a link that might be useful: Quilting clips

Bookmark   November 16, 2010 at 5:07PM
anitastitch

I'm with ritaweeda--I never pin the binding and have good luck. I do use my walking foot though since when you sew a binding on you're going through 4 layers of fabric and 1 of batting. If you wanted, you could used 1/4" Steam-A-Seam instead of pins, but that could be kind of a pain with a big quilt.

Bookmark   November 17, 2010 at 4:59PM
ritaweeda

I also use the walking foot to sew binding. I've never used bias binding, since I've never done a scalloped-edge quilt.

Bookmark   November 17, 2010 at 6:12PM
karpet

I'm another that does not pin the binding, but I am a lazy quilter so I avoid pinning, pressing, trimming, etc. as much as possible!
Karlene

Bookmark   November 18, 2010 at 9:48AM
More Discussions
Heart Blocks
These blocks are made up of 3 1/2" squares of...
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
2015 March Block Lotto
Welcome to the March Block Lotto! The lotto is open...
toolgranny
Kandu Coat?
I'm contemplating starting one, but the directions...
michigoose
Just finished
Pattern called Diamond Double from Cozy Quilt. If you...
nannykins
Q for you re blue jean quilts
A group of ladies and myself will be making quilts...
bev2009
Sponsored Products
Sprig Mobile - Blue - Schmitt Design
$98.00 | HORNE
Premium Select Golden Espresso 60-Inch Ceiling Fan with Natural Cherry Solid Woo
$558.00 | Bellacor
Clipper Ship Coffee Mugs (Set of 4)
Overstock.com
Oxygen Lighting | Ruvo Pendant Light
$233.50 | YLighting
Virginia Tech Grill Rectangular: 3 Ft. 5 In. x 2 Ft. 1 In. Mat
$35.95 | Bellacor
Virtu USA Bathroom Dior 68 in. Vanity in Dark Oak with Pure Stone Vanity Top in
Home Depot
Tough-1 Horse Head Shaped Curries - 12 pk. - 68-2441412-0-0
$23.99 | Hayneedle
Afina Signature Collection Contemporary Integral Lighted Single Door 20W x 30H i
$805.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™