Removing Wall Texture - Unknown Texture Material Over Plaster

JeremyDLJuly 12, 2014

I am attempting to purchase a house that has an odd wall texture material in several rooms. I have posted photos because I am unsure of how to explain it.

It is:

-Very Hard
-Has sparkles mixed in with the finish
-Seems like a super popcorn texture
-I visited the home with my father who in a previous life worked in construction for 25 years or so and he had no idea what it was.

At the most basic level, I would want to clean and paint over. In an ideal world, it would come off easy and I could take it off, mud where necessary and paint flat walls.

Does anyone have any idea what this is?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
JeremyDL

Here is another photo.

Bookmark   July 12, 2014 at 4:28PM
JeremyDL

And another.

Bookmark   July 12, 2014 at 4:31PM
lazy_gardens

Where is this house?

country, state, city

And how old is it?

Bookmark   July 12, 2014 at 4:52PM
JeremyDL

1920's house in Western, NY.

I don't think the finish material is original. It is unique to one bedroom. The rest of the house is either plaster or wallpaper over plaster.

Bookmark   July 12, 2014 at 4:58PM
woodbutcher_ca

Hi, It may be easier to just put a skim coat on top of it.
Woodbutcher

Bookmark   July 12, 2014 at 8:27PM
JeremyDL

I had thought about skim coating, drywalling over the top, or tearing out the plaster and lathe and starting fresh with drywall.

It just seems to me that there must be another option.

On the skim coating front, it wouldn't be too skim. Some of the "peaks" are .5'' out from the valleys. That is a pretty thick skim coat.

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 7:35AM
lazy_gardens

I'm thinking it's one of the textured decorative "cover up your problem walls" decorative coatings that were used in the 40s-60s.

If you buy the house, chip off a chunk and have it tested for asbestos, because they were often "fiber reinforced" and the fiber of choice was asbestos.

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 7:49AM
sombreuil_mongrel

Could be one of those commercial/industrial decorative finishes that companies like Benjamin Moore and Sherwin-Williams developed, and were only sold through a few suppliers, like Janovic in NYC.
They made sprayed-on suede and marble too.
Spray with water/detergent (or fabric softener?) and see if it peels off with a putty knife. If water beads up and runs down, then you may have to sand it off to expose a water-soluable material, then repeat the wetting/scraping. If the whole thing is an acrylic or an epoxy, sand the best you can, if still too textured, skim coat, oil prime, and paint.
Casey

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 9:11AM
JeremyDL

Thanks for the advice. Looking forward to getting into it (with a respirator on :))

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 8:13PM
JeremyDL

My thoughts on the order of attack are:

1. Use putty knife to get in behind it to the plaster in a small inconspicuous area just to get a better grip on what I'm working with.

2. Water/Fabric Softener out of a pump sprayer. If it soaks in, let it sit for a while and see if it comes off with a putty knife or scraper.

3. Try this product from Amazon (link at bottom) - EcoSolve Home Strip X-Tex Textured Coatings Remover

4. I'm going to be renting a steamer for all of the wallpaper in the home and will maybe give that a go as well.

5. If none of the above works, I will try to sand. If this works, I will likely rent a power sander/vacuum combo.

6. If all else fails, I will skim coat with joint compound.

Does this sound reasonable?

Here is a link that might be useful: EcoSolve Home Strip X-Tex Textured Coatings Remover

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 10:11PM
More Discussions
Designer vs contractor
Hi all, New to the forum here. Purchsed a 1960's bungalow...
houseofmagnolia
I want to use LVT for the wall...
I want to use LVT to replace the worn wallpaper for...
sandra2288
Having builder install base kitchen & then immediately remodeling?
I probably would've preferred to buy an old house to...
Melanie Campbell
Question for contractors - after job is done (paying/thanking)
Hello. My bathroom remodel is wrapping up and I'll...
mrsshayne
WCB QUESTION FOR CONTRACTORS
I live in BC, so I realize the answer may not be the...
houseofmagnolia
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™