Adding detail to french doors

ijensenJuly 18, 2012

I recently ordered a set of Marvin French doors. They were very expensive and because of my budget, I was only able to order the full glass doors, rather than the 3/4 glass with some grids/grills along the top of the glass that I really wanted. I am thinking with a little creativity, I can "fake" the look I wanted by building a panel for the bottom portion and the grid section (4 small panels apx 12" long) for the top. This cut the cost of the door by $3,000....seriously.....I couldn't believe it. The interior is wood, and the exterior is wrapped steel. Has anyone here done that and any suggestions? I also wondered if I could purchase the detail items and modify the size to fit my door. I understand I will need exact replicas for each sides - for the interior and exterior. A good silicone should adhere them to the glass.

Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
millworkman

First off your scaring me already as the exterior is aluminum not steel. From my past selling these produce there is absolutely no way possible to duplicate exactly the look of what your attempting to do at a reasonable cost.

Bookmark   July 20, 2012 at 9:20AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
renovator8

I would leave it alone. A poor job would look worse.

Bookmark   July 20, 2012 at 1:00PM
More Discussions
Build an Addition, Move, or Stick it out?
We live in a land-locked area with high real estate prices....
neverlandpirate
Renovation costs per square foot, Miami, Fl.
Can anyone give me an idea about renovating a 1972...
Gayle Atlas
Cutting a notch into rafters to push LVLs into the ceiling?
We have a load-bearing wall we'd like to remove. We...
progressnerd
Stair Problem
I'm hoping someone has a brilliant idea for me! I...
isabelyw
Structural Engineer - What do I need to Know?
I'm planning a kitchen gut/remodel in my three-story,...
Carrie B
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™