New exterior door trim - attach to subsiding or over insulation

bittersweetdreamsJuly 6, 2011

We are in the midst of a total exterior remodel... new windows, doors, aluminum siding is coming off and new 3/8 inch insulation and then vinyl siding going up.

We have elected to replace the front door 'ourselves' and need some advise. The door has been ordered without brickmold. We are going for a historical look, so we will be adding a 5" flat molding to the edge of the door frame. However, we are wondering, do we attach the 5" trim molding to the subsiding on the house? Or do we leave the 3/8 inch gap for the insulation to tuck in behind it? The door will obviously go in before the new siding goes on...

We're sort of at a which comes first roadblock...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sierraeast

It depends on the width of the new door jambs. You might need extensions or if you are decent at carpentry/woodworking, you can diy. If your jambs aren't wide enough to span the inside wallboard and outside sheathing , you could flush it up to the outside and fur out on the inside by extending the jambs. It also depends on the thickness of your trim. If its 3/4", the you should probably tuck the 3/8" insulation behind it. Thicker material such as 1-1/2", you could butt the 3/8" insulation up to it. The vinyl should have a "j" channel around the perimeter of the door trim that the siding slips into. That "j" channel should butt up to the trim but not protrude out past the thickness of the trim.

Bookmark   July 6, 2011 at 6:45PM
More Discussions
Clueless - help me decide on floorplan!
I need help! We are renovating and adding on to a 1600...
essenay
Build an Addition, Move, or Stick it out?
We live in a land-locked area with high real estate prices....
neverlandpirate
Popcorn Ceiling Removal...Is it worth it?
I have read many of the posts regarding Popcorn Ceilings...
cudjoegal
Ideas on changing floorplan / budget remodel for family home.
Hello; We are a family of five. Currently our oldest...
newdawn2001
Shaker style question
What are y'all's opinions on Shaker style cabinetry....should...
janelor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™