Tiling behind hood

skind49April 18, 2014

I'm looking for opinions on whether the impact will be substantial enough to tile up to the ceiling behind the hood n this small area. Originally, it seemed like a nice touch, but now that I see how limited the space is, I'm not sure it's worth the effort. The hood is only dry fit now and will be removed and painted cream with glazing. The walls are already painted beige, so I could go either way. The area is very shadowy with no added light going there. We haven't determined the field tile yet, so if you want to give a suggestion there that would be helpful.

Thank you. Any input is much appreciated. I'm getting loony from all the decisions at this point! :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
xc60

Do you have a photo from further back showing the whole wall? It's hard to tell without out seeing the whole picture.

Bookmark   April 18, 2014 at 7:49PM
skind49

Hope this helps.

Bookmark   April 19, 2014 at 12:52AM
xc60

Thank you for posting the second photo. Looking at the whole thing, I think it would look best not to tile above the hood, as you said there is not much area for tile up there. Also after seeing your cabinet heights and style tiling to the bottom of the hood would look best IMO.

Bookmark   April 19, 2014 at 3:07AM
OOTM_Mom

From the distance shot it looks like there isnt any space between hood and cabinets, so tiling just under hood makes sense. In close up shot it appears there is just a bit of space, 1", 1-1/2" maybe? Is there a trim piece that could cover that gap? I dont know if that is right or not, but it seems to me that 1-1/2" gap is too small to make the hood seem freestanding, and to wide too leave alone...tying it into cabinets for that 12-15" with a piece of trim might work.

Bookmark   April 19, 2014 at 7:06AM
greenhaven

Paint it or trim it. No tile.

Bookmark   April 19, 2014 at 9:13AM
skind49

Thanks for your comments.. @ OOTM_Mom: You are correct. There is only 1 1/2-2" from the hood trim to the cabinetry. Up at the top it increases to about 9". At the ceiling, the crown from the cabinets and the hood will again be within 2" of each other.
The only merit to tiling there might be reducing the darkness of the space, but my SIL suggested painting it to match the hood. Think I prefer having the gap match the rest of the kitchen paint, so as you say, it looks as freestanding as possible.

Bookmark   April 19, 2014 at 11:35AM
More Discussions
Kohler Whitehaven Sink - 33 or 36"?
Does anyone have the 33" Whitehaven single bowl?...
Melissa Silva
Can you use IKEA base cabinets as wall cabinets?
Wanting something larger for over-the-fridge than their...
lookintomyeyes83
My Kitchen Renovation Using Scherr's RTA Cabinets Begins
We start demolition on Monday. We have been actively...
homechef59
Ordered my cabinets in rustic beech
What I am wondering is why all the kitchen magazines...
ryseryse_2004
Please help with Kitchen floorplan
Hello everyone, My husband and I are building a new...
mary8153
Sponsored Products
Mortar Mirror - 30W x 40H in. - MT1495
$328.00 | Hayneedle
SomerTile 12.5x12.5-inch Radom Marron Ceramic Floor and Wall Tiles (Pack of 10)
Overstock.com
Malibu Rectangular Outdoor Coffee Table - Black, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: American Rug Craftsmen Rugs Elisabetta Latte 8
Home Depot
SomerTile 8x12-inch Perfect Black Ceramic Wall Tile (Case of 18)
Overstock.com
VCT Tile: Armstrong Flooring Imperial Texture VCT 12 in. x 12 in. Curried
$0.78 | Home Depot
Sample-Rapids Pattern Hearts of Palm Glass and Stone Tile Sample
$2.99 | TileBar
Redi Trench Shower Bases 40 in. x 63 in. Barrier Free Shower Pan in Black
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™