Painting throughout & Dry wall tape

marial1214July 28, 2012

We have been getting quotes on painting nearly the entire house and there is no consistency amongst the rates, nor the type of work.

We have a problem in each room that the dry wall tape has lifted and the tape is dry and hard and crusty. In one room it is bumpy.

The dude who wants to remove all the old dry wall tape and put new stuff in is a general contractor who does remodeling. His quote is 2500 more than the painter who simply says he could fix the tape by putting his putty knife under it, where it has lifted, sticking the product under there and over the top, then smoothing it out.

Here is my question: does the painter dude know what he is talking about when he says the lifted tape can be repaired by this method above or is the remodeling dude correct when he says it must be ripped off and completely replaced?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marial1214

I don't know if that tape is called dry wall tape or painters tape but it goes across just under the ceiling line. Thanks

Bookmark   July 28, 2012 at 9:51AM
HandyMac

To fix the problem long term, the tape has to be removed and properly installed. The reason it is causing problems now is because it was not properly applied when done before.

The area you mentioned is actually the taped joint at the wall/ceiling joint---half the tape is on the ceiling, the other half is on the wall. The reason it lifted/is bumpy is because there was not enough mud(drywall compound) applied under that section of tape before the tape was applied.

I have, about one times out of ten, successfully repaired small areas of raised tape by adding mud under the raised area and applying more over it. But, that was when the area was still wet---during the application part. Once dry---not a good idea.

So, best fix---remove and replace.

Bookmark   July 28, 2012 at 1:48PM
homebound

In general, yes, painters can do those repairs. Do entire seams appear bad or just a couple areas in each room? If it's odds and ends, go with the painter, imho.

Bookmark   July 28, 2012 at 10:27PM
More Discussions
Small bath remodel - problem tub size
I could use some advice. We decided it is high time...
thomis
adding a room, relocating stairs, relocating kitchen
My husband and I are planning on adding a one story...
soapstoneshel
Kitchen cabinet rankings- middle of the line
We are redoing my kitchen. It is 11x13. I saw a ranking...
Jessica Galvin
question about getting a bid from contractors
We're getting ready to put an addition on our house...
sparkleblue75
Joint Compound on Plaster Walls - Discoloration and bubbles?
We are having joint compound applied to our old plaster...
gqchynaboy
Sponsored Products
Bianca 24" Wall-Mounted Modern Bathroom Vanity - Zebrawood
Modern Bathroom
Tropical Resort Hand-painted Wine Glass
$34.50 | FRONTGATE
Titan Lighting 51 in. White Ceiling Medallion TN-5961
Home Depot
Vintage Handcrafted Wood Table Lamp with Fabric Bell Shade
ParrotUncle
Girl with Ball by Roy Lichtenstein
$49.99 | Dot & Bo