Deciding to move, or not?
Here is my situation:
I currently own a 1930s english revival style house in Minneapolis that my ex-husband and I purchased in 2000. We divorced in 2009 and my ex-husband said he couldn't afford the house so I kept it. Thus far, I have gutted the kitchen, replaced all electrical and mechanicals and the roof. If I keep the house I need to finish the work on the main floor bath (re-tile the shower), re-stucco the outside, restore the windows and replace the retaining wall.
My children are now 19 and 20 so they are not home as much, although the house is small enough that it could work for just me if I closed off the upstairs most of the time.(about 1600 sq ft not including the basement or sunroom -1100 sq ft main floor with about 500 sq ft upstairs). I also have a very spoiled 14 year old lab who likes her yard of about 1/4 acre.
I currently have a reverse commute about 28 miles each way to the far suburbs. Most days it's around 40 minutes each way, although when it snows it can be much longer. The homes near my work are mostly new, in large subdivisions. I've found a few smaller single family homes and a few townhomes but I'm still having a hard time picturing myself in a new house out there.
I have about 25% equity in my current house so it wouldn't be a short sale. I'm just wondering if anyone else has faced a similar situation of whether to fix up your current place or move, and how you came to your decision.
Thank you for reading. I'm sorry for the post being so long.