Help with a sofa decision

dorry2June 18, 2012

I am shopping for a sofa for a second home. It is a beach town and casual (sounds redundant)!! Initially, I thought I wanted a cottage look, shabby chic, but this house is new construction and I don't think I want that look in a spanking-brand-new home!! What are your thoughts on this sofa? Too stuffy? I also wanted a two-seat cushion...this one is three. The fabric will be a lemon-lime with white or taupe contrast welt. I want this place to be totally different than my year-round residence.

I also like the clean look without a skirt -less fussy, I think.

I am not going high-end simply because the place will be used maybe two months/year, if that! It is not a rental, so no worries about having to purchase tough as nails furniture!

THoughts and comments appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
palimpsest

Can you get it without the nail head detail?

Can you turn the cushions or are they attached/semi attached?

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 5:06PM
bronwynsmom

Just because it's new doesn't mean it can't be casual, if that's what suits the way you will live in it.

And yes, I think that sofa is too formal...mostly because it says "Sit up straight!" instead of "Pass me a pretzel - has anybody seen my shoes?"

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 6:07PM
dorry2

Not sure about the nail head option - think it is standard. Hahaha, Bronwyn, funny comment. Interestingly, my husband and i really don't eat in the family room. Drink, yes, wine and beer! The more casual, two-cushion sofas are just too oversized with huge arms. I don;t like that look! I will keep looking for a sofa!

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 6:19PM
suzanne_sl

Is this the kind of beach house where people come in with sandy remnants on their feet and sandy bottoms? Is it the kind of beach house where people are a little sticky with salt water and beach towels can end up anywhere? Or is this the kind of beach house with perfect bermuda shorts, tucked in shirts and Topsiders? Since you don't seem to consume potato chips and grapes in the FR, I'm going with the Topsiders and all the sand outside. How about something more along the lines of this LLBean sofa?

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 1:17PM
busybee3

i like the sofa itself, but am not crazy about the front feet- they don't seem right with the style. i would choose a different foot.

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 1:28PM
suero

A number of companies, like Thomasville/Drexel -Heritage, give you options for several of their sofas, like arm style, nailhead or not, number of cushions, cushion style, skirt or feet (and a variety of feet styles), and sometimes even lengths.

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 6:35PM
dorry2

Allow me to clarify my post. This place is a golf-tennis resort near the beach. We are there for the golf and tennis, so no sandy bodies and daily trips to the beach. We have a shower outside should we decide to go to the beach. I like the casual appearance of this sofa, just not crazy about the arms. I would probably have to go with more chunky chairs to work with this sofa.

So what do you think about this sofa?

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 10:39PM
dorry2

and another possibility. I failed to mention that the sofa will go on a long wall - nearly 18' long, so that is why I am looking for a long sofa - this one is 95." The one above is 92 and the previous one with the nailheads is 84."

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 11:30PM
bronwynsmom

From all the things you've told us about your preferences, your place, and the way you live, I think the last one you posted is a good choice - long, three cushions, smaller lower arms & Lawson style seat, neutral color...

I'd probably opt for fewer (and slightly smaller) loose pillows along the back, but that's because in this arrangement, you have to shove them around to get comfortable, and refluff every time you get up to keep it looking this way. But from the photo, it appears that the sofa has loose back cushions, so you don't need the pillow extravaganza to make it work.

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 7:14AM
More Discussions
Where on Fence for Exterior Closet
I'm purchasing a "shed closet" to be installed...
Carrie B
Replace fan/light combo with light?
I have a Broan fan/light combo in my laundry room....
misformink
Before I Take the Tags Off........
What do you think? DH & I got this BHG set (and...
the_foxes_pad
Who makes the longest lasting, best stone impregnator/sealer??
Hi, Can anyone tell me the best brand/name of natural...
nicole0007
Let's Share: Nightmare Guest Room Stories
Zen's thread showing us her beautiful, serene, comfortable...
lynninnewmexico
Sponsored Products
Floor Lamps: Fabienne 52-1/2 in. Chrome Floor Lamp 20105A
$99.97 | Home Depot
Algreen EcoCascata Rain Barrel - 81315
$169.99 | Hayneedle
Core Covers Hot Tubs & Accessories 84 in. x 84 in. Spa Cover Cap spacp7
$91.34 | Home Depot
French Country Kitchen Mat
$79.50 | FRONTGATE
Elden Runner 2'6" x 8' - PLATINUM
$299.00 | Horchow