How to replace door handles in a door with odd mortise locks

BreadPuddnJuly 12, 2013

We just moved into a 1915 home that had a major remodel in the late 70s. One thing they did was put in three of these wood doors to the outside with lavender glass knobs both inside and outside. I would like to replace the knobs with lever handles, but am having a hard time figuring out the lock mechanism since this one was never fully exposed.

As you can see in the photo, there's a mortise lock, however, the lock mechanism within, directly below the knob, was never exposed/used on either side of the door. Instead, someone put in a separate bolt below the handle (really don't like it below).

So, to replace the knobs (and the spindles are worn, I think), how would I do this? Would I get a whole new mortise lock system with handles, put that in - and also *not* use the lock part? I'm okay with just the separate deadbolt. Or, would I get a passage set (which uses up less space within the door) and patch/fill the area within the door that will be freed up below it?

Also, most exterior/weather-proof knobs are larger than this when it comes to door thickness and scale. Should I just use an 'interior' door knob/lever outside as the prior people did?'

BTW, for what it's worth, the painted side is the exterior, the stained is the interior.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
geoffrey_b

There should be a set screw on the side of the door knob - losen that - and the knob should come off.

Since it doesn't look like the door was patched - I'm guessing they used the old lock - and perhaps it used a skelton key? You're also lacking the correct plate for a mortise latch with a lock.

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 2:34PM
BreadPuddn

Thanks. Yes, there's no plate there that should be preset with this kind of lock (it's like they just borrowed a lock from another door since there's no lock or key hole on this one). But, should I replace the whole mortise mechanism when I change out the handle (it feels a bit wimpy when in use), or just change the knob out only? I had assumed I should change out everything, but keeping the current lock mechanism would be great/easier.

(Perhaps I just answered my question. Ah well).

Thank you!

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 12:41PM
geoffrey_b

You could cut a 'plug' the same size as the mortise lock - actually make it a little narrower - and glue it in with epoxy or Gorilla glue.

The next day when it's dry you can bore a hole for a new lock set.

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 2:48PM
More Discussions
Joint Compound on Plaster Walls - Discoloration and bubbles?
We are having joint compound applied to our old plaster...
gqchynaboy
4" or 5" rounded newell posts--where to order?
Is there such a thing as a 4" or 5" round...
bisondaktelcom
Question for contractors - after job is done (paying/thanking)
Hello. My bathroom remodel is wrapping up and I'll...
mrsshayne
Pocket door questions
I am considering a butler's pantry/scullery addition...
rockybird
? remove wood siding b4 replacing with vinyl
I plan on having my 1950 split level resided in the...
abbey_cny
Sponsored Products
Bella Trio All Season Fan
$399.00 | FRONTGATE
Chartreuse and White Chevron Christmas Stocking with Optional Personalization -
$27.99 | Hayneedle
SunStopper Sun Blocker 99 12 x 10-ft. Manual Retractable Awning - SUNBLK-12X10-M
Hayneedle
BF Artistry 8 in. Widespread 2-Handle SN
PLFixtures
Basco Shower Enclosures Deluxe 33-1/8 in. to 34-7/8 in. x 63-1/2 in. Clear
Home Depot
Copper Mule Mugs - Set of 2
$26.99 | Dot & Bo
Wayland Welcome Mat
$69.00 | FRONTGATE
Salsbury Industries Lockers 62000 Series 12 in. W x 78 in. H x 12 in. D 2-Tier
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for: