Need Hearth and Flooring Installation Advice!

blackchamoisJuly 7, 2012

(Note: this is a x-post to the flooring and fireplace forums as well.)

I am redoing my fireplace (mantel, surround and hearth). I am ALSO installing new wood floors. The mantel will be wood, while the surround and hearth a stone tile. I believe, by code, I am required to have a hearth. It will not be a raised hearth, but rather flush with the floor.

My questions are these:

1) Should the hearth tile go down first, and the floor installed "up to" the tile? (I believe so, but wanted to make sure. I guess the only other option would be to install the floor and then cut out a portion for the hearth, which makes no sense to me.)

2) Will I need a "transition" piece to merge from one to the other (from floor to tile - like a threshold)? Or can the floor butt directly up to the tile? (I was told I need to allow for expansion and contraction of the flooring, thus the transtion piece was recommended. My concern with this is that I don't want a "bump" in my flooring. Most of the pictures that I have seen of hearths flush with the flooring don't APPEAR to have a transition piece, but maybe I am just not seeing it.)

Any recommendations? Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
go_figure01

hi BlackChamois, I have been following your kitchen posts too. Would love to see your reveal.

I am in OC also, I think I read you are near Fountain Valley - thanks for the name of that tile place off Euclid.

I am also redoing my fireplace. I have about a 2" raised area on the hearth. I hate it and want it removed. Also want to redo the surround. It has a bondo type layer over it. The fireplace is gas but can burn naturally as well.

The quotes that I have received from local places have been in from $1800.00 up. I believe I have to supply materials....

I will also be replacing the existing carpeting w/stone, wood or tile. I do not want the raised hearth but want it to be flat. I was told that it depends on the material used on the flooring if there will be a transition.

I will be curious what you find out and do. Please keep posting!! Will look forward to seeing your pictures.
Good luck.

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 1:20AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
blackchamois

Hi GoFigure!

You're welcome. Tile Matters is great! I found another place that I can give you some info on if you want to email me. I think if you go to "My Page" I should be set up to accept emails.

Regarding the hearth, I did get a response to my post from the Flooring forum which I'll link to below.

I was going to have my contractor do my fireplace (mantel) but he only provided a small catalog of prefabricated ones and the styles were not to my liking. So I got quotes from two other guys which were in the $900-1500 range to build, lacquer/paint, install ... depending on if solid wood, or part MDF.

Now this does not include the tile, which I'll be doing around the fireplace and on the hearth. That I do need to supply. As for the labor, it is already in my contract with the contstruction company doing my remodel.

It's a very convoluted project! ha ha!

Here is a link that might be useful: Flooring post

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 10:15PM
More Discussions
Removing brick and install what?
Just for the sake of discussion...if one was to remove...
mlo1
Remodel for your taste vs possible sale
We plan to be in our house for 4-5 more years. It's...
thbennet
Milgard SunCoat vs SunCoat Max vs I89 x-post
x-posted in Windows forum We're getting ready to remodel...
lisa_a
Help! Ceilings are dipping!
I don't know if this is just an unusual series of events...
andrelaplume2
What kind of awning can I add with this roof line?
Hi All, We want to add an awning outside of our front...
tmolly
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™