In your opinion

GracecreatesOctober 29, 2011

Hi, I am new to this forum, but it seems great. I am trying to make a quilt for my mom, and add my own flair to a pattern I first made a paper pieced wreath with really tiny tiny pieces all bright colors on a white background. that was the pattern. Obviously 14 1/2 inches does not make a twin size quilt. So I added a log cabin around it in the same bright colors and every other row white. I also made four basket blocks with the same color scheme for each corner and plan on making some sort of simple blocks for the remaining area of the quilt. I am unsure if this will all go together, because the log cabin and wreath are really small pieces of fabric and the basket is larger pieces of fabric. Do you all think mixing these blocks in one quilt would work well and be pleasing to the eye. Thank you Grace

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Hi Grace and welcome to the forum. I'm a visual person and usually have to see things in order to give my opinion which often isn't worth a whole lot anyway. You're in good company around here if you're putting your own spin on a pattern! Most of us usually do something to a pattern to make it 'ours' or do something outrageous that just screams to be done to a quilt we're working on.

It sounds like you will end up with a sampler quilt and there are numerous ways of making one, plus even having the blocks various sizes. Quiltville has a ton of information and it's fun to browse through the site. I made my mom a lap quilt similar to Bonnie's Random Ohio Star pattern. Good luck......

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful: Quiltville - Bonnie Hunter

Bookmark   October 30, 2011 at 12:05AM
dan_the_mailman

Grace, it sounds like you're making a great quilt, keep going! I think it'll look fine since you're keeping it well-balanced by mixing in similar colors to all the different blocks, and that you're keeping the different blocks symetrically centered. I think you're going to surprise yourself with this quilt. Don't forget to post pictures!
Have fun!

Bookmark   October 30, 2011 at 7:51AM
K8Orlando

Welcome! I noticed your post on the Thimble Lady thread; it's always good to see a new forum member.

As long as your colors are relatively consistent, you can do anything with shapes and sizes. If it pleases you, then go for it.

Post a picture! Let us see these tiny, tiny pieces! (If you aren't sure how to post pictures here, let us know and we'll provide instructions.)

Kate

Bookmark   October 30, 2011 at 10:45AM
K8Orlando

Grace,
Here's a link to a post on the Conversations page where I gave instructions for inserting pictures.

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Easy Photo Posting Instructions

Bookmark   October 30, 2011 at 10:54AM
rosajoe_gw

Thimbleberry designs does it all of them time and it looks great!!!!!

Welcome to the forum!
Rosa

Bookmark   October 31, 2011 at 4:18PM
Gracecreates

Thank you all for your encouragement and support. It's really nice being part of this forum. Right now I feel as if life is giving me scraps in many personal area's. I am trying to stay positive and when life gives scraps as they say make a quilt. and look along the way I found some really great people. Grace

Bookmark   October 31, 2011 at 5:29PM
More Discussions
Wahoo and Thank You
Thank you so much to all that submitted blocks from...
ibquiltn4fun
Selecting fabric - need opinions
Hi! I'm working on a black and white quilt. Each...
jlt37869
2015 March Block Lotto
Welcome to the March Block Lotto! The lotto is open...
toolgranny
2015 Block Lotto At a Glance
This is going to be a long post, so apologies in advance...
polardreams
Trying to locate quilt pattern
I know it's been awhile since posting and I'm not sure...
Vanislegirl88
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™