Antique Sink

anitabloomJuly 8, 2011

I have a gorgeous antique marble top with a gilt patterned sink. It has wonderful brass and cut glass faucets. I was told it was removed from a 1920's brownstone in NYC.

I'm trying to figure out what would look best to support the top. It has a piece of marble for the backsplash, but no apron pieces. I'm toying between sink legs. If antique, they would need a drawer between the tops of the links and the marble top, to add enough length, since they are usually 25-27" high. A new set of console legs (metal) would be the correct height. Then of course I could convert a small piece of furniture. I'm trying to avoid that option, as this is a small powder room and I'd like to keep things as open as possible.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Fori is not pleased

Photos please! Sounds very nice.

If you haven't, try posting also on the bathrooms and (especially) home decorating forums.

Bookmark   July 8, 2011 at 11:14AM
anitabloom

Here you go!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   July 8, 2011 at 12:23PM
Fori is not pleased

Umm. Can I have that?

I would think you'd want to put a plywood base under it to support it completely, just in case someone sits on it. Nice turned wooden legs, small apron trim to hide the plywood?

Do you NEED a drawer?

Matching metal legs to the faucet will be tricky, but you could go totally vintage with a skirt to hide the legs and plumbing. It's a little too elegant for that though.

Can you tell how it was mounted originally?

Bookmark   July 8, 2011 at 1:32PM
brickeyee

It might have had a decorative steel open steel base (meant to look like wrought iron).

Bookmark   July 9, 2011 at 4:05PM
Caddidaddy55

You may want to try an old washstand, the kind that were used with a bowl and pitcher and remove the top and replace it with your beautiful sink. I found a couple of nice washstands on Craigslist, refinished them and mounted vessel sinks on them. I did have to modify the top drawers to clear the plumbing though.

Bookmark   July 15, 2011 at 10:21AM
More Discussions
Build an Addition, Move, or Stick it out?
We live in a land-locked area with high real estate prices....
neverlandpirate
Open or closed floor plan into dining room?
We are in the process of doing a home addition off...
betshsu
Getting ready to remodel the second floor, where to start?
We are beginning to interview contractors. Would like...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Inquiry into Counterfeit Faucet Certification Marks.
Faucets sold in North America are regulated. They are...
StarCraft Custom Builders
Stair Problem
I'm hoping someone has a brilliant idea for me! I...
isabelyw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™