Children's gifts - I spy/matching game

new2quiltingOctober 13, 2012

I made a set of I-spy/matching/memory game cards for a toddler from fussy cut fabric scraps. I have a lot of fatquarters I've picked up or received on quilt runs, so I cut my pieces 4" so that I could make 10 pairs (20 cards) with one FQ. I've seen these done with wool backing or intricate cutouts, or sewn RST and turned inside out (which I tried on another set and found it fiddly). For these I sandwiched batting and sewed around with a generous 1/4" and then trimmed with a crimped rotary blade. The only thing I might do different is square up so they are all exactly the same size, but the little one I gave these to doesn't mind.

The game can be played many ways, identifying the object, placing cards right side up and finding pairs, placing cards face down and remembering where the matching pair is, etc. The one I gave as a gift I tied with a ribbon and gave an instruction tag. A drawstring pouch would be cute as well.

Anyone have any other fun children's gifts they've made from fabric?

Here is a link that might be useful: I spy matching game tutorial/turned edges

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grammyp

I made a checkerboard/backgammon game quilt for a raffle at work. It could be used for kids games

I have also made play quilts for my grandsons. It has Thomas the Tank Engine on one side, and a city scene on the other

I have also made some I-Spy quilts

beverly

Bookmark   October 14, 2012 at 12:08AM
new2quilting

Those are all great! Did you serge around the playmat or is that a thin binding? I never think to do an I-spy as a rag quilt, that would make a cute placemat as well.

--Amy

Bookmark   October 14, 2012 at 12:40AM
grammyp

Thanks Amy, the play quilt has satin stitch around it. They boys came in and wanted it "right now" so I just quickly stitched around and it has held up for 6 years and 2 boys now.

The first I-spy has a fleece backing. The others have denim on the back. One is ragged to the I-spy side, the other to the denim side.

beverly

Bookmark   October 14, 2012 at 1:00AM
minnie_tx

new2quilting
grat idea and loved your tutorial !!

Bookmark   October 14, 2012 at 9:46PM
littlehelen_gw

What great ideas! A whole new inspiration!
V.

Bookmark   October 15, 2012 at 8:11PM
new2quilting

Here's a crayon/coloring bag I made using the Moda Bakeshop tutorial.

Here is a link that might be useful: Moda Bakeshop Child's Activity Bag

Bookmark   October 15, 2012 at 10:32PM
bev2009

Amy, I love the memory game. Thanks for the suggestion. I think its a good break to do a small project in between large quilts.

Bookmark   October 16, 2012 at 4:59PM
new2quilting

I agree Bev. I would love to be able to complete quilts, but am only able to do smaller projects right now. I can cut one night, sew another (and possible another to finish) and have something to show for it. I also am enjoying my BOM blocks for the same reason.

Bookmark   October 16, 2012 at 9:57PM
More Discussions
Need advice on batting and a little help with Houzz
I have only made two quilts, both small ones, and have...
donna_loomis
Do you have a favorite needle machine sewing batiks?
Hello. I'm beginning a project with batiks, machine...
mzstitch
2015 Block Lotto At a Glance
This is going to be a long post, so apologies in advance...
polardreams
First & Second completed quilted table runners I made...
This is the second one I made... I made this for my...
shihtzu4su
a question regarding binding
I know. I'm just full of questions. I want to make...
donna_loomis
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™