Ugly old concrete front steps - remodelling

chester_grantJune 7, 2006

The steps to my house are ugly and the footing for the iron railing is broken - which means the iron railing is also a safety hazard with no secure base.

The question is how can I rejuvenate concrete steps?

I guess I could have them resurfaced with new concrete?

Or resurfaced with some sort of paving stones......there are 5 steps by the way which means one has to go up 3 feet or so. A problem woould be the overhang at the edges of all the steps - maybe the answer is to resurface the horizontal sections first, eliminating the overhang. Then the new horizontal surface would include a new overhang - I hope thats clear!

I also wish to eliminate the iron railings and replace them with painted white wood railings (of the type typical on verandahs) as white wood is more in keeping with the white vertical post already there.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steve_o

I just replaced an old wood deck with a colored stamped-concrete patio; they also applied a thin coat to the existing concrete steps and stamped and colored it, too, so it matches. I'm not a concrete-repair expert, but I would think that, if the steps are in decent condition but just don't look good, you could have this done. It isn't cheap because it's labor-intensive. But it adds a nice look, IMHO. (Sorry -- no pictures yet. They're not completely done with it yet.)

Bookmark   June 8, 2006 at 8:29AM
mike_in_kc

One option would be to set exterior grade porcelain tile on the horizontal planes-- steps and landing-- and apply a complimentary color concrete stain to the verticals. By applying a base color of stain and then ragging on a slightly lighter or darker second color, you can give the risers visual interest and depth of color.

As regards the railing-- If the bolts are rusted or the posts are set into the concrete, cut off the wrought iron with a reciprocating saw and grind what remains til it's flush with the concrete. Drill the concrete with a masonry bit to set anchors with either mortar or epoxy for the new wood railings. Hope this helps.

Bookmark   June 12, 2006 at 8:33AM
freedee

I had a stone mason apply blue stone on top of concrete steps at my husbands office. It wasn't that expensive and it looks great! The concrete was in good shape, it just looks a lot better now.

Bookmark   June 13, 2006 at 6:02PM
More Discussions
Turning bedroom into walk-in closet
Our new/old house has small closets in the two smallish...
poppy3212
bookshelves around a fireplace with a vaulted ceiling
I am looking for help regarding design ideas for adding...
montanabo
Help with exterior remodel!
Help! I want to remodel the exterior of my house. ...
Jeff Holmes
Joint Compound on Plaster Walls - Discoloration and bubbles?
We are having joint compound applied to our old plaster...
gqchynaboy
Having builder install base kitchen & then immediately remodeling?
I probably would've preferred to buy an old house to...
Melanie Campbell
Sponsored Products
Front Hall Floral Stained Glass Window
Overstock.com
Ambiance Black 4 Step Master Dimming Switch
$53.56 | PLFixtures
Dimond Modena Green Blown Glass Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Four Hands Irondale Drifted Oak Spencer Curio China Cabinet
LuxeDecor
Cole & Co. 32" Designer Series Chadwick Chest - Handpainted Classic Plaid
Modern Bathroom