invisible thread broke my machine!

buteau3rdOctober 24, 2012

I was using this thread so it would be quicker to remove it when the muslin was washed. All of a sudden it exploded....the bobbin fell out, minus the tension screw, which I did find. Then when I looked inside I found that the finger was not where it should be...in the place on the under side of the throat plate. It had broken off. The good part is that it has been replaced and working. The guy that fixed it said I should never use it........too strong. It had somehow sprung and wrapped it self around the bobbin mechanism and .......wham! This is my Singer 301, old, but great

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karpet

I'm so sorry for you and your machine! I used invisible thread on some hankie quilts, but then someone said they would be afraid that the thread would tear through the hankies since it was much stronger - I had not thought of that, so I've been hesitant to use it since.
Karlene

Bookmark   October 25, 2012 at 11:04AM
polardreams

I have never had good luck with invivisble thread - I could never get the tension right on my machine so I haven't used it since my first attempt. Sorry about your machine - but glad it is working again!

Sue

Bookmark   October 25, 2012 at 11:16AM
K8Orlando

Wow, what a scary event! I would not be happy with parts shooting out of my machine! Glad it's fixed and working again!

I tried the invisible thread once and didn't like it so I haven't done it again. Now I'm glad I haven't!

Kate

Bookmark   October 25, 2012 at 1:46PM
msmeow

I'm glad your machine could be repaired! I'm leery of the invisible thread, too...it's even worse for pets than organic thread if they swallow it.

Donna

Bookmark   October 25, 2012 at 2:41PM
quiltnhen

So glad they were able to repair your machine. I've kept the thread, both smoke and clear that I used as a new machine quilter years ago when I worried about how to change colors, etc. Guess it's time to pitch it!

Bookmark   October 26, 2012 at 2:14PM
buteau3rd

I think I was very lucky to have a machine break in that most unusual way on Sunday morning and be sewing again on Sunday evening on the same machine!
This man sells old reconditioned machines (mostly Singers) from his very neat and clean garage.

Bookmark   October 26, 2012 at 7:07PM
buteau3rd

I think I was very lucky to have a machine break in that most unusual way on Sunday morning and be sewing again on Sunday evening on the same machine!
This man sells old reconditioned machines (mostly Singers) from his very neat and clean garage.

Bookmark   October 26, 2012 at 7:11PM
More Discussions
a question regarding binding
I know. I'm just full of questions. I want to make...
donna_loomis
Are you quilting this weekend? March 27-29
I stayed up late last night making a teapot block for...
lindaoh_gw
Q for you re blue jean quilts
A group of ladies and myself will be making quilts...
bev2009
10th Annual Quilt Retreat 2015
Hi Folks! We are beginning the process of planning...
jennifer_in_va
Are you quilting this weekend? March 20-22
I hope to spend a lot of time in my sewing room this...
lindaoh_gw
Sponsored Products
SFERRA Bari Pillow Sham
$69.50 | FRONTGATE
Sealy 3-pound Memory Foam Bed Pillow
Overstock.com
LumenArt | ACL.01 Ceiling Light
$160.00 | YLighting
NCAA South Carolina Gamecocks Jersey Mesh Valance
$23.95 | Bellacor
Pink & Lavender Personalized Beach Towel
$37.99 | zulily