Two stage remodel-- two contractors, bad idea?

nerdJune 11, 2014

We are in the process doing a large addition which will include a new kitchen and family room. A designer has suggested that we have one builder do all of the major construction/ framing etc. and then essentially hand off the project to another contractor who will install all of the cabinets, fixtures, countertops, etc. Has anyone ever worked on a project in this manner before? It seems that it could save some money, however I am concerned about accountability for the project for timing, if things go wrong, etc. thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Trebruchet

nerd:

This has to be one of the worst ideas I've ever heard on this forum. I can't think of a better way to ruin accountability than to allow each contractor to blame the other.

Have your designer design half the addition and another designer design the other half and see if she still thinks this is a good idea.

Bookmark   June 11, 2014 at 11:44PM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

It's a horrible idea. Bad enough that it would really make me question the competency and ability of ythe person who made the suggestion. It's enough to part ways on, right now. If spending 200K for the project is out of your budget range, then rethink tbe project as a whole. Or, move. Find a home that suits you better that you won't have to drop a boatload of cash on it for you to be happy in it.

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 7:28AM
annkh_nd

I know of at least one such case where I live. A remodeling company built an addition to a home, and a custom cabinet maker (the same one who built my cabinets) did the kitchen. I know that the cabinet maker has his own installers.

The cabinet maker doesn't build additions, and the contractor doesn't build cabinets. I don't see why it couldn't work, if everyone knew what their job was at the outset.

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 10:33AM
More Discussions
Moving window vertically
Hello - we are purchasing a house and trying to think...
bethanympuku
Small bath remodel - problem tub size
I could use some advice. We decided it is high time...
thomis
I need help with making a decision to paint golden oak wood or restain
I have a 28 year old view home with dark bronze aluminum...
kimkollie
Having builder install base kitchen & then immediately remodeling?
I probably would've preferred to buy an old house to...
Melanie Campbell
Questions about attic & insulation
1980's era house. Blown in FG insulation which at this...
lucas_tx_gw
Sponsored Products
Large Modern Style Two Tiers Fabric Shade Glass Diffuser Pendant
ParrotUncle
Kamenstein 'Lexington' 16-jar Revolving Spice Rack
Overstock.com
Two-Piece Bright iPhone 6 Snap Case - CORAL
$135.00 | Horchow
Spool Candle Holder Set
$29.99 | zulily
P2991-81: Archie Antique Nickel Two-Light Bath Fixture
$116.64 | Bellacor