Title Insurance

mmulluNovember 7, 2008

Hi - This is my first post -

I am buying a home in the fairfield county and looking to see what would be a good title insurance company to go with.

Also what are ur thoughs on the Owners Title Insurance ?

Thanks

Muthu

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

The lender will require tittle insurance payable to THEM for the mortgage balance.

If you want to protect your down payment you get an owner's policy, preferably with an 'increase in value clause' to protect you when the value of the property increases above the original purchase price.

Title insurance is issued in conjunction with a title search .

There may not be more than a couple options in any area, and few attorneys offer more than one company.

Bookmark   November 8, 2008 at 10:28AM
justnotmartha

what state are you in?

Bookmark   November 11, 2008 at 1:53AM
mmullu

The state is CT.

Bookmark   November 14, 2008 at 1:29AM
zolcat

Why would one want to limit oneself to vendors that only a attorney offers?

How would you compare title insurance policy from different vendors that the attorney offers?

brickeye: "..preferably with an 'increase in value clause' to protect you when the value of the property increases above the original purchase price.."

Thanks! Any other clause to look for? Anything that would protect from future or past of the property if something unanticipated happened a few years from now?

Bookmark   November 14, 2008 at 7:30PM
brickeyee

It depends on how title insurance is sold in your state.

In some states title insurance is only sold through attorneys since they perform the title search.

In other states there are settlement providers that perform the search and sell the insurance.

Whomever sells the insurance wants to know that the title has been thoroughly and correctly searched.

Title insurance is designed to protect against defects in the chain of title that could NOT be found out by inspecting the chain.

Forged signatures are one common issue. There is no way to tell from a title search that a signature on a document is forged.

Encroachments on to the property are usually only covered IF a survey was performed at the time of purchase.

The title policy will list any items found during the search and NOT cover them.

There may be an easement on the property for overhead lines to an adjacent house, or even a driveway that is over a boundary.
Since you have been put on notice about these items, you cannot later make a claim for them.

Bookmark   November 15, 2008 at 10:32AM
More Discussions
Preparing to list starter home w/o dishwasher etc.: how big a problem?
When I bought it and redid the kitchen, I replaced...
gramarows
Home Buyers Please Vote: Would you rather ...
1. A $2,000 kitchen appliance allowance or any stainless...
belfastbound
Moving to make room for mom?
My mother is getting to the age where she should not...
paintedpeggies
Seller isn't signing the sale contract
Land has been on the market for 1.5 yrs and asking...
net42k
Realtor company fee
Buyer agent told me there is $300 fee to realtor company....
net42k
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™