Backsplash ideas--need GW advice!!

amharrisApril 5, 2013

Hi all. I'm redoing a kitchen in a second home. The current kitchen has been removed, but we haven't installed cabinets yet so I don't have pictures yet. This is intended to be a relatively budget friendly kitchen (oxymoron), because ultimately we will do a more extensive renovation down the road which likely will impact the kitchen. However, in case that dream renovation gets postponed (or never happens) I want to have a space I can be happy with for a long time!

The house is contemporary, so the kitchen needs to fairly contemporary too. I'm using IKEA cabinets in a beech finish, along with stainless steel drawers in the island. The countertop will be caesarstone Dreamy Marfil (it's a creamy background with hints of gray and warm tones (my thought is it works with both the wood and the stainless). The floor is a dark stained wood.

For the backsplash, I keep envisioning glass tiles rather than stone or ceramic. I'd love any ideas!

The attached pics in photobucket (hope they work) show a rendering of the cabinet wall where the backsplash will be as well as pictures of the wood for the cabs, the countertop, and a few sample glass tiles. Also included is a picture that I found online that looks like my set up.

The island isn't shown in the rendering--but it's directly in front of the cabinet wall.

I see so many good ideas from people on this site--please weigh in--thank you!!!!

http://s1322.photobucket.com/user/amharris2326/library/Napa Kitchen% 20ideas?page=1

Here is a link that might be useful: photobucket

This post was edited by Anne2326 on Fri, Apr 5, 13 at 19:07

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
torontotim

To insert a Photobucket picture, get the HTML link they provide and paste it directly into your posts.

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 7:54PM
EAM44

Can you give me an idea of your budget in $/sf?

This post was edited by EAM44 on Sat, Apr 6, 13 at 3:29

Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 3:28AM
amharris

Good question about budget! I'd like to keep it under $40 a square foot. Seems like there are a lot of choices at the $20-$25 level, but I'm willing to go higher if, for example, Ann Sacks has some gorgeous tile that if I saw I couldn't live without!

Thanks!

Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 5:24AM
suzanne_sl

Any of those glass colors would work with the kitchen you're describing. Have you tried them in place to see what they look like with the site lighting? If you don't have a sample door, you might have to wait for them to be installed to see what they look like in place. You may also take into account what colors are used in rooms you see from the kitchen. Don't feel you need to rush to make a BS choice. It's OK to wait until everything else is installed to make a decision.

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 2:47PM
amharris

suzannesl --thanks and good advice, especially since this isn't our primary residence. Heading out in about a week and a half to help with cabinet installation. I'll be toting my bag of sample tiles. Once I have some real pics of the space I'll post again!

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 3:12PM
More Discussions
Zephyr Monsoon I or Air King LIN34 600 CFR Range Hood Insert??
I am ready to buy a range hood insert for my kitchen....
Kenneth House
Those tall coil spring type faucets: Hard to clean?
Like this: http://ak1.ostkcdn.com/images/products/6382868/Residential-Coil-Spring-Brushed-Nickel-Faucet-f8de8fec-40cb-4993-a19b-7903391cc178_600.jpg (How...
raenjapan
Relative cabinetry prices: brand vs. brand
We're going to redo our kitchen but aren't quite ready...
stretchad
School me on galley kitchen layout!
So I've tried to start learning from the experts here...
red_argyle
Would soapstone work for me?
I currently have Cambria quartz and like it, but don't...
Butternut
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™