Roof lines...architect or engineer?

lavender_lassJune 28, 2012

I need to get some advice on roof lines, for the addition to the farmhouse. Who's the best person to talk to about this? An architect or an engineer? It's going to be a little tricky and I want to make sure the roof lines will work together.

Thanks in advance :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kirkhall

The engineer will tell you if it is possible, and how much extra stuff you'll have to do to make it possible. The architect can give you advice on how it works/fits/looks, etc. But, really, if I had a good idea what I wanted to do, I go to the engineer.

Bookmark   June 28, 2012 at 7:59PM
lavender_lass

Kirkhall- Thank you for the response! I know what I want to do...and think I know what it will look like, but the 'if it's possible' part is my biggest concern! Guess I'll play around with a few more ideas and try to see which one looks best...then run it past an engineer.

I've heard there are architect/engineers...maybe that would be a good idea, too. The structural issues are more of a concern to me than the cosmetic. I think all of GW has really helped me with that part of the planning :)

Bookmark   June 28, 2012 at 8:30PM
renovator8

In my experience, the way such a design task is usually handled is for an architect to design the roof configuration and to provide the services of an engineer if one is needed. The engineer's fee is usually passed on to the owner without a markup.

Bookmark   July 6, 2012 at 7:04PM
lavender_lass

Thanks, Renovator.

Bookmark   July 7, 2012 at 1:13AM
More Discussions
Removing brick and install what?
Just for the sake of discussion...if one was to remove...
mlo1
Help! Ceilings are dipping!
I don't know if this is just an unusual series of events...
andrelaplume2
How does a General Contractor work...do I need one ?
I am new to remodeling anything in my house. I have...
jeannette10
Do I match exterior door/window hardware to interior?
We will have white interior doors with oil rubbed bronze...
happyallison
Replacing shower recessed light with vent/light
Our house has a 6" can light over the bath/shower....
postalgbv
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™