Demo. or Modify My Fireplace?

wags848June 22, 2012

Greetings! We are switching to a direct vent fireplace which will require some modifications to the brick. A good time to update my fireplace. I've never like it because it looks too large for the wall/room, the bricks are too close to the windows, & its size darkens the room.

Options I'm considering:

1) New Mantle - Wider & better proportioned to the FP. A white or cream color. Paint upper crown molding to match.

2) Remove bricks from sides (8-12 in.) to reduce width (not sure if possible).

3) Add a surround w/tile or stone inside it; perhaps panel over the upper half of the bricks.

4) Paint the bricks white/off-white, paint mantel & molding.

5) Start over! Demo the bricks, put crown molding in whole room, & find a fireplace I truly like.

I am collecting inspiration photos from Houzz, etc. & feeling overwhelmed. Would love opinions from others! Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
EngineerChic

I would go for number 5 if you can afford it. I agree, it's too close to the windows and dwarf the rest of the room..

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 9:55PM
wags848

Thx for your thoughts, EngineerChic! We may be forced to rip out the bricks if we decide to tear down half our chimney due to leaks. Still on the fence on that one; researching options again. If we go that route, we'd need a direct vent FP which would have a different firebox size. That would mean tearing out inside bricks.
Decisions, decisions!

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 8:50PM
lynn_r_ct

You'll never regret doing it the way you REALLY wanted.

Bookmark   July 15, 2012 at 1:41AM
Circus Peanut

Could it be that the windows were replaced once upon a time? I ask because the classic scenario has higher smaller windows flanking these more elaborate stone fireplaces. What age is your house?

Lots of choices, enjoy the process!

Bookmark   July 15, 2012 at 8:20AM
wags848

circuspeanut (love that name & candy,BTW!) - Those are the original windows. We built the house in 2000. The first framers put the windows in the wrong place...then the bricks went up and they were too close to the windows. We should have pushed the builder to fix, but in a rush to close; got some money back though.

lynn_r_ct - Thx for those words of encouragement! The process is a bit overwhelming, but once the kids are back in school I can focus more on the options. You are so right...I won't regret it...need to pull the trigger & tear down those bricks!

Thinking a simple white surround, granite or marble inside surround, and white crown molding in the entire room.

Bookmark   July 15, 2012 at 11:24PM
ijensen

If you have the option of a demo anyways, why not try option #4 to see if it will lighten the room and have the fireplace and windows blend together better? If it is not to your liking, you can go ahead with the demo plan.

Bookmark   July 18, 2012 at 4:27PM
More Discussions
Joint Compound on Plaster Walls - Discoloration and bubbles?
We are having joint compound applied to our old plaster...
gqchynaboy
Quartzite vs granite countertops
We are building a house. I have always wanted to use...
libby-momsy
Just on observation
Just observing these forums I see the word "cheap"...
Precision Carpentry
Help with exterior remodel!
Help! I want to remodel the exterior of my house. ...
Jeff Holmes
Have exterior wall open-questions about improving insulation
I have a 1980s era house, so not the greatest in terms...
lucas_tx_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™