Demo. or Modify My Fireplace?
Greetings! We are switching to a direct vent fireplace which will require some modifications to the brick. A good time to update my fireplace. I've never like it because it looks too large for the wall/room, the bricks are too close to the windows, & its size darkens the room.
Options I'm considering:
1) New Mantle - Wider & better proportioned to the FP. A white or cream color. Paint upper crown molding to match.
2) Remove bricks from sides (8-12 in.) to reduce width (not sure if possible).
3) Add a surround w/tile or stone inside it; perhaps panel over the upper half of the bricks.
4) Paint the bricks white/off-white, paint mantel & molding.
5) Start over! Demo the bricks, put crown molding in whole room, & find a fireplace I truly like.
I am collecting inspiration photos from Houzz, etc. & feeling overwhelmed. Would love opinions from others! Thanks in advance!