Leather Absolute black sample is etching

barista9April 13, 2014

I'm a bit bummed. We had finally decided on our countertops, found a fair price, brought a sample home and all.
Other sample I brought from this place (Kashmir) went through my lemon juice / oil tests fine. To my surprise, the leathered AB sample shows dull marks where I drop lime juice.

Since I cannot get a hold of the supplier today, I tried cleaning a part of the sample with paint solvent and re-did the test, no difference. The stone doesn't appear to have been dyed, left some oil overnight and all was fine. It is just the marks left by the juice.. What can I do, any other tests? How should I best approach the supplier about this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jerzeegirl

Maybe the AB was sealed and what is coming off is the sealer? AB is very hard and the sealer might be sitting on the surface since it cannot penetrate the stone.

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 9:14AM
kevdp4

There's not much you can say other than "No thanks, this stone will be problematic."
It doesn't appear in the pic to be an etch, an etch will leave a light spot were a stain will leave a darker spot. In the pic it looks like it left a darker spot.

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 5:03PM
barista9

for some reason, the picture shows the spot darker while in reality it is more grey dull looking.

I talked to the fabricator today, he said the slab may have been sealed by their supplier, but he was still planing to seal it with a Dupont product. He wants to do a test after putting his product on a sample... strange...

This post was edited by barista9 on Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 17:58

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 5:57PM
FoxCrane

A little off topic; I just wanted to know what were the factors that led you to decide on the leathered texture?

Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 1:53AM
barista9

We just prefer the look of the matte black granite over polished for the kitchen. A lot of people do honed black, or soapstone, leathered black is an alternative that is supposedly easier for maintenance.

Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 6:31AM
More Discussions
Help with kitchen mat-awkward area. Custom?
What we would ideally like is a mat with a 45 degree...
akl_vdb
Do you like your Viscont White granite counters?
Like so many others, I lust over Calcutta gold marble...
Nan57
Carrara tile backsplash with carrara countertop
I found a few images in the photos section of houzz,...
crl_
IKEA kitchen nearly done- so delayed
We've been extremely delayed!! The granite is going...
Chinchette
Barker cabinets?
So who has Barker cabinets and would be willing to...
tigger9759
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™